Rajah’s Story

Rajah headed out the door (it was such an old house the door was gone) carrying his beautiful oak box. Out to the market he went. The walk was long, the box was so heavy it was full of honey.
When he got there, the streets were already bustling with people. Tall people, short people, people selling scarves, people selling meat or vegetables, so many people. He got straight to work setting up his box. But there was a problem, it seems that everyone was ignoring him. They pushed and shoved and he was knocked down.
After trying for hours and hours to sell some honey, he had only sold TWO bottles. Hours of hard work for TWO bottles, he was thinking as he sat down on the front step of a house. Just then a young woman (about in her 20’s) approached. Rajah stood up at once. The young woman asked Rajah for two bottles of honey. He took two bottles and handed them to her. In return, she handed him some money, which he placed in the little brown bag that was tied around his neck. But when he turned back around, the box was GONE! Someone had stolen his oak box when his back was turned. No! Rajah’s mind was screaming. Where’s it gone? Father’s going to kill me!
It was pitch black by the time he reached his house. He saw his mother and father waiting for him. As soon as he reached the steps, his mother started ushering him inside. His father saw that he did not have the box, he yelled “WHERE IS THE BOX?” Rajah tried to explain but the look on his father’s sad face made him stop. His father was muttering, “My mother’s box, gone…” His wife held his shaking hand. Rajah was feeling wretched.
“Get out!” his father screamed.
“What?” replied a puzzled Rajah.
“I said get out!” his father was so very angry.
Rajah’s mother cried, “Please Vishni, don’t do it!”
“No! He has lost my mother’s box and now he will pay for it!” yelled his now furious father.
Rajah ran and ran for days he was sick with fear and worry. He came to a pretty little town called Noa. He decided he would find a sheltered place to sleep there and plan what he would do. He walked around a little bit and finally found a soft patch of grass sheltered by a dilapidated building.
The next day cold and miserable, he was woken by a soft voice in his ear. He opened his eyes to see a twilight blue pair of eyes staring into his. He was startled by her unfamiliar face, but suddenly put at ease by her soft voice.
“Good you’re awake now,” she was saying. “I take it that you have nowhere to live.” Rajah nodded. “Well now you do. By the way what is your name?”
“Rajah,” he replied.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!