Darkness In The Blink Of An Eye

DARKNESS IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE -Sienna Wynd

Grey point flew through the air. A blanket of darkness was dropped over the poor boy. A life changing event caused in the blink of an eye, not by fault or by action. By chance. He does not even notice, just day turned into night for him but a night with no light, with no wishing upon a star, no moonlight and no waking up to a new day. Just darkness. Will the boy realise it is not night time yet and still a while till it falls, or in his confusion will he continue the day like it’s night.

Has the world done this on purpose, has this boy done something wrong and deserves it or was this incident just something god thought would help him through his life. Help him to see the world differently.

He lay on the ground and places his hand onto the grass he had never before actually realised how dead it feels. How hard the ground was. How rough each shrivelled, tiny strand of grass was. Maybe this is why the world has done what it’s done, so the boy can pick up these things and not take things for granted. The boy tries to stand lifting one knee very slowly and placing his foot back on the ground. He stumbles heavily as his foot lands into a deep rabbit hole. It was in the middle of nowhere. He had never noticed that there were holes in the yard before. Were they everywhere or was this the only one, just in the absolute middle of nowhere? The boys mind was ticking over at the speed of lightning, it was as though he could here people answering but couldn’t quite make out what the voices were saying. Were they answering him or just trying to make things more confusing. He was already a mess. When he stood he fell, when he moved it itched, when he thought his head felt like it was going round and round like the earth orbiting the sun. He heard real voices now asking him, “What’s happening? What is wrong? Is he alright?”

Some voices sounded sympathetic and some voices sounded as if they were just asking to sound nice. He had never before realised what the difference was until now. He thought to himself, “Is this what I sound like? I wonder, what side of the fence do I sit on? Am I sympathetic or do I just act?” He could make out the voice of his best friend Bobby nearly crying. His mate sounded as though he was in as much shock as himself. “ It’s alright Bobby.” He told his friend, “I am fine, just everything is dark. What time is it?” Bobby’s soft voice was as comforting as an angel’s, “Its okay, mate. You’ll be alright,” he whispered in the boys ear.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!