Making Friends


“You know what Julia just did?” asked Kavya.
“You mean the new girl, Julia Banks?” said Cora.
“Yeah, the one that’s just transferred,” said Kavya, with a frown. “I think she took Emily’s phone out of her locker.”
“Know what else she did…? She tried to take Emily away from Zoe,” Cora explained.
“OMG they’ve been besties since prep, why would anyone do that?”

Julia’s diary: Monday July 22
I walked to school in the rain today. I must remember to bring my umbrella tomorrow if the weather is still horrible. My first subject was Math, as always I was the last to finish. Borrowed Emily’s phone to call mum at lunchtime.

“What are you doing this Avro?” Kavya asked Cora.
“I got netball till four, but I’m free after that,” Cora said.
“Our tree is awesome! It’s so nice having lunch here, especially with my fair skin,” Kavya said, looking up.
PLOP
“Ewwwww that’s disgusting! Why me? I’ve already been pooped on twice this week,” said Cora, wiping bird poo off her sandwich.
“I guess all good things come in threes.” Said Kavya with a chuckle and a big grin.
“Hey Guys,” Julia said with a smile.
“Hi,” Cora muttered back half- heartedly
“I went for a ride last night,” Julia said
“We’ve all got bikes,” replied Kavya, sarcastically.
“Not on my bike, on Starlily, my horse. Can I have some of your sandwich,” she asked, reaching into Kavya’s lunchbox.
“Ummm… Ok,” Kavya said, looking over at Cora in amazement.

Julia’s diary: Tuesday July 23rd
It didn’t rain today. I got some of my math homework finished in class. Kavya shared her lunch with me. She’s so nice.

“Julia is so spoiled,” said Cora.
“And such a brat,” said Kavya. “She just can’t get enough of herself. Do you still want to hang out with her?”
“Not if we can help it. I don’t think I can stand another word that comes out of her mouth,” said Cora.
“Should we change our spot?” Kavya asked.


Julia’s diary: Wednesday July 24th
Could not find Cora and Kavya today. I looked everywhere. They must have been kept in. I sat by myself and finished my math. Going to visit mum soon.


“Morning class.”
“Morning Miss Owen,” the class responded.
“Before we start I have some sad news.”
The class stopped talking and listened.
“It’s about Julia…”
“What, did she fall off Starlily or something?” asked Kavya.
Miss Owen waited for the giggles to stop before she continued. “I’m sorry to say Julia won’t be returning to school. Her mum passed away last night…”
“Haha your joking right,” said Emily.
“Now isn’t the time for jokes,” said Mrs. Owen. “Julia’s mum had been sick for a long time… And she lost her dad only last year. They’re trying to find her a nice foster family.”
“What about her horse?” asked Kavya.
“Julia lived in the flats behind the school,” Mrs. Owen said. “She didn’t have a horse.”
Mrs. Owen looked into a sea of surprised faces. Seeing two hung heads right in the middle made her feel happy for Julia, and comforted to know she could make friends so easily.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!