A Cold Life

I feel her icy fingers wrap around mine as we try to escape this torturous nightmare. As we walk down the rocky ground I look up hoping to see some sign of help but I only see a black night sky with very few stars. I turn on my flashlight to see a steep ledge only 3 meters in front of me. I look up the mountain thinking, "there's no way I am going down that ledge", but as I look up, I see something worse than the ledge, an avalanche. Well that's changed my mind about things. "There's only one way down", I say to myself under my breath. "Don't jump", a voice comes into my head. I look back and realise it was her voice in my head. I don't listen to her though and I close my eyes and jump. I jump away from the misery that fills up my body with tears that has frozen my heart to ice. I jump from the pain that breaks my bones over and over and over again. I jump away from life....

THUMP, CRACK, I hear as my body completely gets winded on the hard snow underneath me. As I assess my injuries she appears next to my broken body and whispers to me "you'll be ok". As a single tear forms a puddle around her left eye she leans down to me and we touch lips. I feel water run from her face onto mine and I think this will be my last breath. Even though this last experience of my life has been amazing with her, like a fairy tale, I know that reality will come. This won't be a happy ending because this is a cold life...for me...

As I take my last breath, time seems to pass so slowly. It takes forever for my body to rise plagued by a feeling of endless sleep. I see flashlights pointing in the direction of my dead body and her leaning on me. As they shout her name and wrap her up in a blanket, she looks up at my ghost unready to leave the world yet. When her eyes flicker away from me and back towards the people who have saved her life, I whisper "you'll be ok". Then I'm gone...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!