Lava Island

One late afternoon, a girl called Sarah was walking on some logs, close to a nearby waterfall. A few hours later, she saw a beautiful island that was off the coast. Sarah wanted to swim to it. There were lots of interesting animals she had never seen before and also there was a volcano. When she got there, she thought she saw a secret door leading to a basement.
Sarah was curious to know what was in the basement. At the exact same moment as Sarah opened the door, she saw a cute pigeon that was stuck in some sharp, sticky vines.
She didn’t dare to touch the vines by herself. She knew she would get injured.
“Don’t worry, little pigeon,” Sarah told the pigeon, “I’ll call my friends, Chelsea and Harry and see if there’s anything they can do to help.”
The pigeon heard Sarah, and he stopped struggling.
“What should I name you? Oliver, Stefan, Ethan…”
Sarah heard a squawk. This time it was a happy one! “Alright! Ethan it is!” Sarah said, happily.
“Hey, Ethan, are you hungry?” Sarah asked politely. She didn’t hear any squawks coming from Ethan that time, but she did hear something else.
She heard a person, sounding a lot like her friend, Harry!
Sarah was shocked to see that it was actually Harry. She ran up to him and gave him a big hug.
“Harry! Is that really YOU?” Sarah asked.
“Yes, it’s me, Harry Juniper! I missed you so much, Sarah!” Harry said, with joy.
“How did you get here?” Sarah asked Harry.
“Well, I did see your diary on a log. At first, I thought it was Chelsea’s, but then I saw your amazing artwork, and I thought it just HAD to be yours.”
“Thank you!” Sarah squealed.
Suddenly, they heard a loud grumbling sound coming from the other side of the forest.
“Aaarrrgghhh!!! It’s a volcano!” Harry screamed.
“Don’t worry,” Sarah said, trying to calm Harry down.
“Quick! We have to try to get Ethan out of these vines before the nasty lava gets us,” said Harry.
“Harry! Help me pull this side! Quick!” Sarah cried.
“Wait, I’m pulling this side!” Harry shouted.
“Oh! I know! I can pull this side, while you pull the other side,” Sarah explained. “That way, we can pull it faster and we won’t get hurt!”
“Yes! We pulled it! Now, quick climb a high tree,” said Sarah.
“This tree looks perfect,” Harry said, trying to climb the tree.
A few hours later, all the lava dried up. “Let’s go home, Sarah.”
“You’re right. Should we bring Ethan home with us?” Sarah asked.
“No. Ethan stays here,” Harry answered.
Then they saw Ethan carrying a blanket he found in the bush.
“I think he wants to give us a lift home!” exclaimed Sarah.
“One day, everyone will travel like this!” Harry screamed.
“We’ll come visit you again, another time, Ethan. I promise,” said Sarah.
Before Ethan left, guess what they all did?
They hugged.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!