Feeling Empty

Jasmine walked into class and took the last seat right in the back corner. The teacher blabbered on about Pythagoras and then her head slumped as she heard the dreaded term ‘find a partner’. Everyone started forming their little groups and Jasmine was left alone, again, until eventually the teacher came over and offered to work with her.

Time passed by slowly and finally the bell rang. Jasmine was pushed and shoved as she walked back to her locker. The 13 year old, with long blonde hair concealing her gaunt face, reached into her locker to get her phone out. She swiped her IPhone and opened her latest post on Instagram. The usual comments greeted her ‘Where’s that outfit from? The trash?’ and ‘I never knew pimples grew so big.’
Jasmine sighed and sought refuge in the girls' toilets. As she cowered away in the cubicle, she heard the familiar voices of Amy and Jess, the ‘popular girls’.

‘How about Jasmine having to work with Mrs Pearce'

‘Hahaha, I know, I almost feel sorry for her’

‘By the way, your comment on her Insta was hilarious’

‘I did my best’.

The cruel laughter cut Jasmine deeply, all she wanted was for a chance, a chance for people to get to know her and possibly even like her. She came out of her hiding spot and gazed at the pathetic image in the full-length mirror.

All Jasmine wanted, since she moved to Terrigal High 8 months ago, was a friend.

Every afternoon her mum asked how her day was and she always said it was fine. She’s too ashamed to tell her mum the truth, her old life back in Quirindi was so much better. The fact of being alone and having no one to talk to made her life even more miserable.

Jasmine awoke to her alarm going off loudly, she quickly shoveled down her breakfast and thew on her school uniform. She just made it in time for the bus. Jasmine took a seat by herself. She felt a tap on her shoulder and she looked up to see a bouldering figure above her, ‘Move over you fat ass, I thought these seats were meant for two?’ She squeezed over against the wall and looked down at the ground.

When the bus finally arrived at her school, she ran straight to the bathroom, where she stayed until the bell rang. Jasmine went off to her first class, sewing. ‘Yes’ Jasmine thought to herself ‘a seating plan.’ The teacher organised seating alphabetically, but why of all last names did hers have to come right before Amy’s.

After another horrific day, Jasmine finally arrived home. She gobbled up her dinner and ran off to the toilet. She stuck her two fingers down her throat and all her dinner came out in a clump. Jasmine suddenly heard a light tap at the door, ‘Sweetie are you alright?’


NOTE:
An eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia is very serious ans mostly involves vulnerable teenage girls with low self-esteem.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!