The Flame

In the still of the night as we were all falling asleep, the only eyes still wide open were the eyes of the Jiemba Brothers who were playing by the fire. From a far away view their game looked quite enjoyable, as it woke me up. The other person to get waken up by the noise was their mum Kirra.

"Would you please tell me what you're doing?! She exclaimed. How dare you play around waking people up when the sun hasn't even risen yet?!" You should be ashamed of yourselves." "Now, I don't want to hear a word from you until I say so." "Now get some water from the creek and put the fire out will you?"

As that was said she went back to sleep. The Jiemba Brothers didn't bother going down to the creek to get water just to put the fire out. Why would've they? They just blew it out and covered the embers with dead palm tree leaves they found lying around and went back to sleep.

That night it was silent, very silent. The noiselessness was broken by a crackling noise which came from under the palm leaves. Suddenly the embers started transforming. First came the newest of sparks followed the first blaze. The flames like spiders crawled up and over spreading their igneous webs which started roaming out of control spreading on trees and burning up bushes. Nature’s sounds were no longer to be heard. The tweeting birds and croaking frogs, all these vibrant melodies were gone.

The first voice I heard was the scream of Kirra. Shaking me, desperately trying to wake me up. Her cry broke into my head, like a pickaxe into the stone. I knew I only had one choice and started running with the others. It felt impossible to breathe. With every inhale I took the smoke was closing in on my lungs more and more. I tried hard not to give in, but before I knew I was lying unconscious on the ground.

When I opened my eyes I could see the others staring at me.I could see my scars, but I was still happy, happy to be alive. I learned one lesson. The fire gives warmth and life, yet can take the existence of those who don't respect the true power of this wonderful element.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!