A Courageous Soldier

BOOM, CRASH! The shells flew overhead and explosions were everywhere but these were the least of Bens worry’s as the sun over Gallipoli began to set. It was Gallipoli, 1914, and only two months into the campaign. Morale was low and hundreds had died however Ben had not died and neither had his fellow soldier, Sam, so they became friends because of their huge similarities. However, one day would surely change all that.
It was a Saturday most thought but because of the war they had forgotten the days, but they were all in good spirits so the ANZACS all loaded up their guns and prepared for a fighting day. The gunshots rang out in the air as the soldiers were picked of one by one by the snipers many tried to take them out but BLAM! they were gone. Grim faced, Sam ran over and yelled over the sound of gunfire “This isn’t enough; I’m going in” “no you can’t you be blown to bits!” he argued but it was too late.
Under the cover of darkness, a group of six ran out geared up and ready, they trooped out along the side of no – man’s land and began the siege. But the enemy expected that, lights flashed through the trenches while a soldier was patrolling the area. As soon as his back was turned they climbed down, trying not to make a sound now all they had to do was find their friends. The wind howled throughout the trenches as the guard walked past for a second time, “I think we should probably find a way to get rid of the guard” Ben whispered so they thought up a plan.
WHACK! The soldier was unconscious and was bound, gagged and thrown into an alcove in the trenches. Five minutes later Ben was wearing the uniform but it was a bit big and with that he was pushed back into the trench and began to stomp through the darkness.
He walked through the enemy lines, however it was hard when everyone kept greeting him so he kept his head down. Upon reaching the end of the trench he saw that they were being kept in a darkened corner so he acted gruff, however the guard stepped in front of him so he pointed his gun at the guard, he moved out of the way he unbound Sam’s ropes and pulled him up before going to free the others.
A sharp cry pierced the room, the guard! But it was too late Ben could hear other soldiers coming “we have to leave” so he hoisted himself up over the trench and made a run for it. BLAM! Gunshots tore throughout the brightening sky as the sun woke from its slumber, his friends dropped like flies on a wall but he and Sam kept running until Ben felt a sharp pain then nothing. He collapsed but through his dying eyes he could see Sam make it back safe.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!