Garry The Unicorn

I’m Garry. The unicorn, by the way.
My friends call me carrot, not that it has any relationship to the name Garry, but so well, my friends are dumb.
I go to a normal mythical school in the middle of a enchanted forest, and its busier then Sydney. Thing is, there has always been something missing in my life.
And that’s a magical apprentice badge.
A magical apprentice badge is a must have for all unicorns, and it can show just how well trained your magic is.
Only five people in my school actually have it, and I’m hoping to be the sixth.
I know, people tell me I can’t do it because I’m just a baby year six.
Well, who cares?
I, unfortunately do.

“Garry, will you come up to the class and display your animal magic assessment?” Asks Lady Bloom. Yes! This is finally my chance to show that I’m not just a dumb year six! My assessment will be so great that they’ll practically have to force me to move into grade eight!
I neigh with delight and trot up to the classroom, my main ingredient (squirrel.) following close behind. He jumps onto the table and awaits to be transformed. Lady Bloom nods on, encouraging. I point my horn at the squirrel, and in a blow of sparkles and clouds of dust erupts a..
A dragon!
“I DID IT” I scream, and the whole class claps and lady bloom looks on, impressed. “I must admit, you have a way with magic.” She blinks on, astonished. “Thank you mam!” I blush proudly. After class, she talks to me about moving me up a grade. OK, I’m not being moved into grade eight, but grade seven is just as good. “Keep the work up!” She smiles proudly.
I tell my parents, and they say how proud of me they are and all that cheesy stuff. But the real deal is my first day in year seven tomorrow. I go to sleep excited, dreaming about my day.

I make sure to dress myself up extra smart, I wouldn’t want to look dumb, but when word gets around I think I can forget the smart suit. I arrive at school early like a good pupil should, and my first period is..
Hard. Its mega hard.
OK, I passed a mini assessment involving nothing more then a squirrel and a horn, and now they expect me to transport a human?
Nu uh.
After class I demand an exchange, and it takes a whole day to get things sorted, but I’m back in my old classroom by the next day.

Sometimes what we want isn’t what we actually want. We envision it to be great and unbelievable, but sometimes you are better of with what you have.
Be grateful for everything you have, aim to achieve more, but know what you truly want.
This mini story about Garry the unicorn is a quick example of how things we want are different in reality.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!