New Beginnings

Golden sunlight poured out over the misty mountains as the unexpected stranger cautiously passed through the uninhabited arrangement of old, crushed and burnt piles of stone. It was odd knowing that this mess of war was once an elegant town, owned by a powerful king for many generations. The valley was surrounded by tall, strong cliffs covered all over in thick, silver snow. This glistening structure could be seen from miles around, although nobody had ever dare venture to its peaks. There were tales of a beast that was so powerful, that just looking at it would kill even the bravest of knights. Although stories were told of such evil things, this man, in particular, was not scared, he was not afraid, not at all. He was not a knight in shining armour, he was not a human, but an elf, venturing far from his lands. He was not even a man, but a woman, as such. She was dangerous, but handled things well. She was beautiful, dressed in animal coats and leather. Her shiny, golden sword swaying back and forth against her thigh as she took each graceful stride. She was brave and smart, and knew that no man could slay the beast. But she was no man.
She stood there, her eyes scanning for movement over the peaks. Nothing. She turned to hike back to the forest but stopped in her tracks. She heard something, she knew she did, she was positive. A growl, in the distance, a deep grumble from the depth of the beast’s throat. Just then, flames rose over the mountains, melting and burning anything in their path. Had it heard her? ‘I’m about to find out!’ she thought as she turned to run. Another growl passed her ears as she painfully realised that this time it was much louder than it was before. She heard the sound of wings beating up ahead and skidded to a stop. She stood there, frozen, as the beast landed just ahead of her. Its piercing screech sounded much worse. It wasn’t facing her. ‘It hasn’t noticed me yet.’ She silently backed away, unaware of the trick the creature was playing.
The girl backed back, suddenly she was knocked to the ground and the world went dark as the trees swallowed her up. The girl was then yanked off the forest floor and held there, by the tree, who had an extremely strong grip. She was sat there, facing the creature, its burning black scales as dark as coal. Its yellow teeth as sharp as that of an adult shark. Its vicious red claws scraping at the under growth. The young warrior drew sword, the beasts red and purple eyes locked with hers. In that moment, the two combatants seemed to come together in mind as if they had a single combined desire. Not all conflicts need be resolved by sword. That short moment was to become a new beginning for the forest.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!