Blame It On Me

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The music was playing loudly. The streets were silent and I was with one of the closest people to me in the world. It was just my girlfriend, Bethany, and I driving at 10:00pm at night, trying to get away from our families. Her parents hated me and my parents hated her, it was like being Romeo and Juliet except we didn’t kill ourselves. We would sneak out whenever we could just to see each other. That night I thought it would be nice to take her out for a drive.
Bethany looked over at me with a sparkle in her eyes. She had her long blonde hair tied up in a high pony tail. She wore a black top that said BORED in white bold letters and wore tight denim jeans. Bethany smiled at me and I felt myself warm up. Although, I was driving, my eyes were not looking at the road, instead they were gazing at one of the most beautiful girls in the world. It felt like there was no one else in the world but her. It was like nothing else mattered.
“I love you, Beth.” I whispered to her. I smiled at her but then I saw something behind Bethany, out the window. Bright truck lights blinded me as they came closer to my car and fast.
“Bethany! Look out!” I yelled at the top of my lungs, but it was too late. The truck hit the car with a BANG! Its two massive trailers swerved across the road and smashed the front of my car. The sound of tires screeching and car windows smashing pierced my ears. I looked over at Bethany and saw her suffer through all the pain that I caused.
By the time we got out I had a cut going down my arm and scratches all over my face. Somehow, I survived but Bethany didn’t. From a quiet street, it was now crowded. There were two police cars, three ambulance vans, four news channel reporters and the whole neighbourhood, crowding around. I felt someone touch my shoulder, I turned and saw a female paramedic smile at me. “I’ll bandage your arm up” she said as a beautiful smile grew on her face. I followed her and we sat down in the ambulance van. She pulled out a roll of bandages and started wrapping it around my arm.
“So, was that your friend?” she asks.
She was more than that. Now I’ve lost her and it’s all my fault.” I whispered trying not to cry. The lady gave me a smile.
“There’s a future for you,” she said trying to make me feel better. My eyes filled with water.
“But can there ever be a future when the past is in pieces?” I ask her, not making the situation any better. Tears trickled down my cheeks. “You will win over millions of hearts.” She said softly.
“I only need one” I said as I began to cry.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!