Darkness

Darkness

I slowly crawled towards the dark mysterious door. Wondering what could be lurking inside. I clenched my eyes shut and gently grasped the cold metal handle. Carefully, trying not to make a sound I turned the handle and pushed, but the door creaked loudly open. I opened my eyes in curiosity to see what might be standing before me. As my sight cleared up I saw nothing but darkness. I took the risk of stepping forward into the dark shadows, but nothing happened. As I turned around I could see no door. No light anywhere except for a tiny speck above me.

My heart was crawling up my throat in fear and my sweaty hands were shaking. I didn’t know where I was or where I was going, but it felt like I was falling. I was uncertain if I would hit the ground, or even if there was a ground. My body jolted. Everything was silent and I felt still. I didn’t feel like I was falling any more, however, there was no sign of any ground beneath my feet, just darkness. Now there wasn’t a single drop of light to be seen, anywhere.

I had a throbbing headache and it was pitch black everywhere I looked. Suddenly out of nowhere a speck of light appeared in the distance. It started moving towards me faster and faster. I tried to move in the opposite direction, but I was frozen with fear. The strange speck kept coming towards me until it flew straight into my head. There was a huge flash of light and for a few seconds it was all I could see.

When the light disappeared, I was back where I started. My hand was on the now warm handle. I released my hand and wiped my sweaty palm on my shirt. I took a deep breathe and slowly backed away from the dark door, turned around, and started walking away. I tried my hardest to ignore the urge to go back through the door.

I don’t know why but I turned around and began running back towards it. The urge was just too powerful to resist. I grabbed the metal handle, turned it and jumped.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!