Jack Frost

It stared at me, its face fixed in a permanent frown. I didn’t know where I was, or what IT was. It just stared. Its blue, frosty eyes unblinking. Some say it was the devil itself, but it couldn’t be. I tried many times to escape, but it was not possible. My wrists ached from the tight iron handcuffs keeping me in this-this room of some sort. This cellar. I looked around for some way of escape. I saw nothing only the creature and darkness. Suddenly, something came into my mind. ‘Don’t try to escape’ whispered a voice. It was icy, like the bitter, howling wind outside. I looked around. The creature and I were the only living objects in the room. It was then, that another sentence popped into my head. ‘It’s me…’ the thought came. I looked around once more. Still only me and the creature. “Who’s there?” I said aloud, my voice hoarse. The creature opened its mouth, revealing rows and rows of sharp teeth, then closed it again, as if second-guessing its decision. A third thought came through. ‘I’m talking to you....’ I suddenly realised that it was the creature that was talking to me. ‘You can speak with your mind…’ came the icy voice. ‘…you just have to know how’ it continued. I tried it. I closed my eyes and thought ‘How?’ I tried to send it. No reply came. I tried again. ‘How?’ I made sure my voice was strong. Once again, no reply. I shut my eyes, tight. I imagined the words. Silver. Silky. Dancing around. Bold yet soft. ‘How?’ I almost demanded. The creature didn’t reply. I was about to give up, when a thought came. ‘Like that’ it hissed. ‘Just like that…’

The icy cold voice echoed in my brain, like a memory. It kept me up at night, wondering if it was ever going to come back. I left the dungeon, changed. I felt different. Thing fade. Memories of the past. But this was never going to change. The terror of the creature’s rows and rows of sharp, white teeth, like icicles hanging off a tree branch. The hoarse whisper of the beast’s voice. It’s brittle white fur., like freshly fallen snow. The hunger in its deep blue frigid eyes. The…I suddenly heard a distant call. It slowly made it towards my brain. My head filled with frost. A shiver ran down my spine. A familiar voice echoed in my mind. The recognisable harsh voice whispered in my head, ‘I’m back…’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!