Pulling Back The Curtains

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The moonlight breaks through the gap in the closed curtains as I lie quietly on my bed, breathing slowly. It covers my eyes and it makes it harder for me to sleep. I can hear a
pitter-patter sound in the distance. I don't know what it is, but it is not helping me to sleep at all. I silently get up and pull the curtains together, succeeding in closing the light out of my room for the rest of the night. I lie down in my bed again, but a feeling of guilt comes over me as I try to snuggle up underneath the warm blanket. I feel lonely and scared in my pitch black room, so I reach to turn on the lights. They flicker for a few seconds, but then suddenly they turn off. I think for a while, letting my mind wander. I think about everyone else in my house sleeping peacefully while I can hardly even keep my eyes closed. A sound wakes me up. It is that pitter-patter sound again, and it is much louder than before. I look around my room. I can see the shadows of my desk and my lamp. It's too bad I can't turn the lamp on because if I could, I would be able to see and sleep well again. I walk around my bed to the curtains. I can see some light coming from the gap underneath the curtains and I wonder what it is. Slowly, I pull them back and I see an amazing sight. I can see some red light shining from beyond the world, and next to it, I see a bright rainbow. Behind the first rainbow, I can see another faded but sparkling rainbow. It turns out that the sound I heard in the night was actually the rain. I wouldn't have seen this amazing sight if I didn't pull back the curtains.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!