An Elvish Happening

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Theo’s thoughts drifted to his former self. A bright, confident, young boy, always raising his hand in class, sharing his opinion with the world. It was all different now. His grades started slipping and parents assumed it was just that he not trying hard enough. This, unsurprisingly, was not the case. No, this was the result of a spontaneous manifestation of insults and criticism. He was overwhelmed by his own insecurity. He sat in class while his teacher was droning on about the American Revolution “ ...and Theo, you’ll be working with Machias, it'll be due Wednesday.”
Machias Hammerton. Theo knew him from primary school. He strode over to Theo’s desk and sat down. “Mr Hawley is bloody killing me dude, he’s such a boring teacher.”
Theo just shrugged as he pulled up Wikipedia, copying chunks of text into a Word document.
“So what do you want me to do?” Machias asked, awkwardly.
“I don’t know, whatever you want,” Theo muttered, not looking up from his laptop.
“Well, we’re supposed to be doing this thing together, so…”
But there was something different about Machias’ voice, it was somehow softer, more delicate than before. Theo looked up to see that Machias suddenly had several bizarre physical abnormalities, that clearly hadn’t been present earlier.
His entire appearance, down to the clothes that he was wearing, had changed to take on that of an elf. Theo stared, his mouth agape and his eyes wide in disbelief.
“Wha- what are you?” Theo stammered
“I am an elf. Scandinavian, born and raised. Not to be associated with a Christmas Elf. Those little devils have been tarnishing our reputation for years. No, I am to be seen as more of a, J. R. R Tolkien, Legolas, type elf.”
Theo just stared, his mind racing as his breathing became heavier. He looked around, suddenly remembering he was in a classroom.
“No one else can see that I'm an elf, so you might want to stop gaping or people will just think you’re retarded,” Machias said, matter-of-factly.
“I am officially losing it!” Theo finally concluded. On that note, Machias grabbed his arm and promptly left the classroom. He led Theo to the back of the school and Theo seemed too shocked to even struggle. “Get ready for this,” Machias said, grinning. He pushed open the doors and standing before them was a 30 foot long, grey dragon.
“This is Wynflaeth, my parents got her for me when I was 113 years old, just a toddler.”
“Dragons aren’t real though!” Theo stated, in denial.
“Oh, I guess you’re right. I guess Wynflaeth here just is an overgrown lizard with wings. Yeah, that sounds accurate.” Machias responded mockingly, as he climbed on the huge beasts back.
“Look, do you want to stay here and do a C level essay or come on an adventure with me?”
Machias then extended his smooth, pale hand. Theo glanced back to the school and made his decision. He reached out and took the elves hand.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!