My Story

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

I always knew I was different, unusual blue stripes over my chest. My herd say I'm bad luck and there'll be a drought if I don't go away. I wipe those thoughts from my mind.
I'm grazing, when I hear a noise. It sounds like Old-Lion roaring. Humans step out of the growling beast. I've heard about these humans. Once they took you, you never returned. They were holding weapons that spat fire. I start to gallop across the grassy plains.
Gunshots are fired. I fear for my life.
Something hits me in the leg. I collapse, hit the ground with immense force. Everything goes black.
When I wake, a light is shining in my face, I think I'm home, however, this isn't home, I assume I'm in a cage. I try to move, but realise I can't, I'm trapped. My throat, dry as a river in a drought.
I wonder what my family are thinking.
Stop worrying, I scold myself.
I ram the cage, something feels different. My antlers are gone. They must have taken them. I feel useless without my prized possessions.
One of my captors approaches the cage and opens it. He holds a small tube filled with liquid. I remember this instrument from when other animals have been stabbed by this.
He says something that I do not comprehend, but it sounds mean.
I realise that I haven't escaped my cage yet. I start to gallop out, whilst the man stands in my way. I can't turn, I'm going too fast. I knock him over.
I also hit the cold floor. Everything goes black again.
When I awake, more people are present. A young woman and an elderly man. I hear them talking "Taxidermy". I don't know what that means.
The first man is talking to them. I despise him.
The young woman with the icy eyes holds shears and an elderly man holds a plucking instrument. I hide in the back corner of the cage, like a timid baby. The woman ushers me out. Whilst leaving the cage, I feel a pinch. She takes a hair to examine under the microscope.
The elderly man stabs my back. My blood stops rushing. When I come out of my deep sleep, I feel different. The sensation is unnerving, now I have no eyes!
My soul is missing, my antlers and my eyes are missing....I am at a loss.
I struggle to move. I'm on a wooden pole. I'm blind. I now have glass eyes. This body is no longer mine.
I've been here for two years now.
Those terrible people have put me up for show, a museum artefact. I have to be on display for all the gawking eyes to see. This is worse than being dead.
If you ever become a taxidermist, you're one of the worst people in the world. All they do is kill, kill and kill. They are a disgrace to the living.
So that's my terrible story, what's yours?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!