Three Wishes

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

"AHHHH!" With my hair flying upwards and me descending downwards like Alice down the rabbit hole, I wondered if Wonderland would be at the end of this forever fall. I tried to make sense of the extraordinary occasion. One minute ago, I had been admiring my new watch from my granddaughter Rose, and the next, I was sucked into time, falling into a vortex. Wind whipped up against my aged décolletage and sent shivers down my curved spine. Then, a blinding light appeared with Aladdin's genie, zooming into focus. He put on quite a performance too ... singing with Marylin Monroe who was draped in diamonds and Elvis Presley... swivelling his hips. It was really a dream come true. "Judy, your next wish is quite complicated, but I think you can achieve it,” said Genie. Then he, Marilyn and Elvis suddenly all vanished. I was confused. What was my wish? Giving myself a pep talk, I said to myself, “It's just like one of my crosswords, I can figure it out.”
I landed and saw a familiar looking girl singing 'Dain What Comes Naturally' from my favourite movie 'Annie Get Your Gun’. I noticed I also had the same beauty spot as she did on the side of her cheek. My memories started coming back about life in the 50's when I caught sight of her clothes. "What's your name?" I asked her. "Judy Shaw," she replied. And then it dawned on me. She was me from 60 years ago! I was utterly bewildered! How could this have happened? It's Magic! I asked her what year it was. “1952" she murmured looking confused. I remembered that I had moved to Queensland the year before. The plan that had been brewing inside my head instantly evaporated once I realised that I couldn't stop myself from moving to Qld because it had already happened. Judy invited me over that afternoon, so we could continue our conversation. I suddenly remembered the diary. The diary I had kept the year I had moved. It would tell me what date it was when mum finally convinced me to move interstate. My idea was born again and by using my watch, I could change the past and finally bring an end to my Qld life. I could wipe it from history and stay in Perth and grow up there.
I knocked on Judy's door whilst looking up into the beautiful sky. The clouds looked like meringue on a pie. The quarter moon was visible like the Cheshire cat's smile. Young Judy bid me inside the house and we entered a bright little bedroom. Instantly, I spotted the old chest that I used to cherish. Inside it would bear all my previous diaries. When Judy looked away I quickly attempted to open the trunk, but to my disappointment, it was wretchedly locked. Panic set in. What if I never find the key? The sun caught my eyes glistening on something hanging around her neck. It was the key! To my luck, the chain inexpertly got caught on her blouse. She wanted me to unhook it. Grasping the key in my hand, I felt powerful for once. I sneakily shuffled forwards, still clutching the key when she asked me... "Do you have any children?" Time had stopped. Thinking about my daughter, my son and my four grandchildren made me smile. The key dropped out of my hand as I rose upward. Like an angel.
Awaking rather abruptly from my nano nap, I turned to find Rose sitting beside me. "Nana you’re finally awake," she beamed handing me my beautiful box. Inside, the magic watch lay brilliantly gleaming. It's strange to think that if I had of succeeded at changing the past, I would never ever have had the lovely family that I have today. The end

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!