Test Results

As the sunrise slowly creeps up my bedroom wall, I slither back under my quilt. The frigid morning air numbs my nose as I try to get a few more minutes of sleep, but of course the dog just had to jump on my bed and lick my face. Well, at least my nose isn't cold anymore.
"Down Fido! Bad dog!" I push him off my bed while wiping my face.
Fido whimpers as he bolts downstairs to the kitchen, I slowly follow him, leaving a trail of footprints in the soft, thick carpet.
"Your finally up, huh?" A woman's voice startles me as I make my way down the stairs, it sounds deep and hoarse.
"Morning, Mum." I swing open the fridge door to grab something quick for brekkie. "By the way, your doctor's appointment is today."
"Please, don't remind me!" She gets up from the recliner and shuffles towards me. "You don't have to worry so much."
Wrapping her arms around me, I somehow feel calm. The smell of Mum's perfume reminds me of the time when she wasnt sick. We would run around the back yard all day and I would try to find fairies in the garden. Then we would have tea and biscuits in the greenhouse while she read a book to me since I still couldn't read back then. Things have certainly changed for us, Dad packed his bags and left us, Mum is very sick now and yesterday, we got an eviction notice.
"Now listen to me, okay?" Mum pulls away from me and looks deep into my eyes "My life is just about up, but yours has just begun. Make sure you live life to the fullest!"
She plants a kiss on the top of my forehead and heads upstairs. Tears begin to steam down my face at the thought of losing her.
"Sweetie, could you please make me a coffee?" Mum calls out from downstairs.
Drying my eyes, I walk towards the kitchen. As I went to grab her mug, my phone rang. I accept the call and I answer the phone.
"Hello?" I cringe at the sound of my high pitched voice.
"Hello, um...is this Ms Stormston?" A deep, old voice screeched loudly in my ear.
"No, this is her daughter. May I ask who this is?"
"Oh, I'm your mother's doctor. I'm Doctor Avinn from the hospital."
"Oh...um...then I'll hand you over to her, please hold." I frantically rush upstairs to Mum's room, I extend my arm out and hand her the phone.
"It's the doctor,"I wheeze and try to catch my breath.
She picks up the phone, turns it to speaker mode and brings her index finger to her lips, giving me a signal to be quite.
"Hello Doctor Avinn, do you have my test results back?" She asks him very calmly.
"As a matter of fact, yes I do," he replies her question "your getting better each time you come here! Your results don't lie!"
"Wait, so does that mean Mum is well again?" I blurt out forgetting that I wasn't ment to listen.
"Yes, I suppose so."
I grab Mum and I give her a huge hug. Tears of joy begins to fill our eyes and we celebrate the glorious news.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!