The 2000 olympics

Todd Ellbourn
Willunga Primary School
SA 5172
The Two Thousand Olympics

When Mum, Dad and I went to the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, we watched the swimming events. We saw Australia’s swimming team. After the events there was a big presentation for all the medal winners, then the athletes talked to the media about their wins or medals. After they had talked to the media, they went to sign autographs and talk to some of the spectators.

At this stage I left Mum and Dad in their seats and went down to get a closer look at these athletes. I was trying to get closer to them when all of a sudden a very tall, wet man in his bathers said hello to me. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I discovered it was Ian Thorpe. I was so amazed I could not even reply. He gave a laugh and asked if I wanted to see his gold medal. I just nodded as he held up the medal. He let me hold it in my hand, but he still had hold of it himself. I was surprised at how heavy it was.

Mum came running down from her seat with her camera when she saw us talking. She took several photos of me with Ian, she was so excited. She put the camera down by her feet to shake hands with Ian. Mum was talking a lot of nonsense and I could not understand her.

The next thing I know Mum started screaming. Someone had stolen her camera. The security guards were quick on the scene but not quick enough. The guard asked Mum where we were staying in case they found the camera. Mum was so upset we just went back to our hotel

We were all both excited but upset at not having any of our photos when there was a knock at the door. When Dad went to answer the door, there was Ian Thorpe with the security guard. The guard said they had not found our camera but thought we might like some time alone with Thorpie. He stayed with us for over an hour before there was another knock on the door. Thorpie said he knew who it was, so he let them in. It was a photographer to take lots of photos of all of us together.

Ian then said he had to leave as he was in another event the next day. We said goodbye and got ready for bed.

We were just about to get into bed when the phone rang. Ian rang to offer me some swimming lessons after the Olympics finished. Dad said he was sorry but we had to leave the next day. Thorpie wished us well and Dad did the same to him.

“Come on Todd WAKE UP you have to get ready for school.” Oh no I was just having a wonderful dream, it did not happen at all. I wonder what will happen at swimming lessons tonight.
THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!