Zadia

Zadia

Zadia was only 6 years old when it happened. Surrounded by cracked, narrow walls and abandoned shops, Zadia crunched her way through the loose snow, leaving a trail of footsteps behind her. What was she thinking to be walking alone through this forgotten alleyway, full of secrets. Her weary eyes curiously glared into every direction, waiting for something to grab her attention.

As Zadia continued skipping down the tight alleyway, she skidded to a halt as her eyes were drawn to something unusual. A cracked wall, full of illustrated names, each carefully scribed in with chalk. As she stood at the wall, staring at each and every signature, Zadia’s face curved into a smile and she picked up a little piece of chalk that rested on a stone ledge. Before she knew it, she had etched her sweet name, ‘Zadia’ upon the others. But she needed to know why they were there.

Zadia carried on down the alleyway with determination, looking out for any clues.

A gust of wind swept through, making the doors around Zadia rattle like a snare drum. She stopped as a cold shiver ran down her spine, as if someone was watching her, but no one was around.

Zadia was suddenly compelled to turn around, knowing there was something behind her.

Her face furrowed up with confusion and she gasped as if she was running out of air.

There it stood.

A doll.

Not just any doll, but an exact replica of Zadia. It donned the same pink windbreaker, fatigue green sweater pants, grey vest and adorable pale blue hat.
Zadia stepped closer to the frosted window and wiped it with her sleeve. The reflection of Zadia in the window was identical to the doll on the other side. Her large, green innocent eyes glared into the dolls eyes with confusion.

Curiosity filled her mind again, and she knew she needed to get inside the shop.

Zadia glued her eyes onto the doll as she slowly shuffled her way along to the shops door, taking her eyes off her eerie twin for a split second. But when she looked back up, the doll was gone.

Zadia pressed her face up against the dusty window, desperately searching for another glance of the doll. After moments of frustration, Zadia finally spotted the doll, positioned on a table in the centre of the room.

She tugged at the door to try and get in, but it was locked. She miserably searched around for something to release her anger. Viciously snatching a handful of snow from the ground, she rolled it into a tight ball and threw it at the door.

Just at that moment.

The door suddenly creaked open.

Zadia pushed the door fully open and began to amble cautiously into the shop. All around, each and every space of the room was lined with dolls. Some big, some small, some smiling, some frowning. But right there in the centre of the room was Zadia’s doll.

She took a couple of steps closer to it, feeling and urge to touch it. Right there at that moment, the door slammed shut, leaving a shiver of silence fill the room.

Zadia turned back to the doll, remembering why she was there, but the doll had disappeared again.

Zadia’s eyes scanned the room, looking at each and every doll. Until she saw it, right at the top of the highest shelf.

She sprung to her feet, knowing she needed to get the doll.

Climbing on the nearest obstacle in front of her, she stretched her arm up towards the doll, clenching her other arm on the shelf and gripping her feet below her.

Finally, her finger touched the tip of the dolls button nose. But then…

She couldn’t move, she could speak, she couldn’t escape.

The girl with not a care in the world, was no longer a girl, she was the doll.

THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!