Gem Of My Life

I kneel on the grass next to the limp shape on the ground. It's happened again... I'm alone.

"Time for presents!" Mother called over the loud group gathered in the dining area. Everyone moved into the living room, either sitting down or leaning against the wall. I sat on the floor next to the stack of presents that stood in a pile on the carpet. For the next few minutes, I opened all of the gifts and thanked them politely, but I honestly just wanted it to end, so I could be alone with the spirit of my Grandmother chatting to me, just like old times. I finally got to the last present, a large turquoise box that had a light blue ribbon elegantly wrapped around it. As I opened it up, a black and white blur shot out of the box, licking my face as I laughed. I gripped the blur gently, looking at the small black and white puppy with brown eyes, which stared lovingly back at me. The puppy looked slightly familiar, like another dog. "This looks like-"

"Her dog was pregnant when your Grandmother died." My grandfather answered quietly. "She would've wanted you to have it."

I looked at the puppy in my lap, thinking of my Grandmother. Going to the park, the beach, my Grandmother calling me by my nickname...

"Gem." I said, my eyes tearing up.



It's been two years since that evening, and Gem has been there for me every single day. Early in the morning, I would go downstairs, get my food for the day, and take it back to my room, staying there for the rest of the day reading, drawing and writing stories with Gem laying at the end of my bed.

It's night time now, Gem is outside for a break after guarding me all day. My pencil dances across the page, the black hood, a scythe, a pale girl kneeling in front of him, pleading...

BANG! The pencil slides off the page at the sudden, heart stopping noise... A gunshot. I grab my jacket and rush downstairs, Mum and Dad following behind me. I sprint to the forest at the end of the field, rushing through the trees like a wolf hunting for pray. Except, I'm not hunting for pray... I'm hunting for him. "Charles!" I scream out, rushing to a figure in the clearing. He's poached on our farm lands many times before. I look for anything lying on the dirt as my Father runs up, tackling Charles. I spot the poor animal, rushing to its side. I freeze, my heart stopping. Everything slows down. At my feet, covered in blood, with her eyes looking at me in panic, Gem whimpers, panting. I burst into tears, falling to my knees, petting her fur. She keeps her eyes on me as I gently hug her. Slowly the light starts to fade from her eyes. I raise my head to the sky and scream. It's happened again... I'm alone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!