Saved

Splash! Splosh! The boat bounced up and down on the waves of the ocean, taking Emma and her family to one of the world’s natural beauties, The Great Barrier Reef! The family of four were going snorkelling on a sunny October day. They had been suited up and ready to climb into the clear ocean water. The captain’s voice sailed through the boat saying “Ladies and Gents we are about to reach our destination, please ensure you have all your gear ready, you’ll need to stay inside the circle made by our friendly staff, if you need assistance swim to the swimmers in bright orange. Please don’t touch the coral or any animals you don’t know what they can do, Thank you.” When he said that Emma, age 11, bounced up and down in her seat. She had a mission today... it was to find a baby green sea turtle! Her older brother, Mathew, was swimming with her mum so she was swimming with her dad. When the boat stopped all the passengers climbed down the ladder, and started swimming around.
Emma swam right into the centre of the ring and look around. “Wow” she breathed as she looked down into the reef of fish, coral and TURTLES!!! Ready to see more turtles she followed them, and with her dad in tow, she was startled to find a baby green sea turtle struggling for air and breath. Emma approached it carefully and from a closer view the turtle was tangled in a plastic bag and had attempted to eat it. Her dad immediately swam back to the boat and called the Sea Life Rescue Centre (SLRC). Emma however decided to try untangling the turtle despite what the captain had said, she had no success but then the boat arrived and lifted the turtle in a container filled with salt water. Emma’s dad was going with the rescuers, so Emma went too. They went to the closest Rescue Centre, the SLRC workers quickly and swiftly took the turtle into a medical room and with sharp knifes cut the plastic off, It was horrible to see underneath the plastic, there was nothing too bad except a long scar on the side of its neck. The workers said it was a boy, so Emma named him Norman.
During their time in Cairns they visited Norman loads of times, and on one visit they said he was ready to be set free, the SLRC workers are able to track him and know which turtle he is, because of 2 reasons his scar and a tag, his number was 201413. Emma and her family watched TRC set him free. Emma whispered under her breath “Bye Norman, I’ll see you again,” and then she waved.
Emma returned to that same place 2 years later, and went snorkelling again. As she was swimming she saw a tagged, full grown green sea turtle and on the side of its neck it had a long scar...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!