Uncovered

“I swear, Ali is so ignorant sometimes. Like yesterday when I dropped my pen, Jarrod was practically tripping over his feet to get it. Yet Ali still thinks he only has eyes for her,” Lexa said and I just knew she was smirking.
Jarrod and I were going to discuss this later but I wasn’t that worried about him. After last night, I figured we were as close as ever and it seemed that Gemma thought the same thing.
“Are you sure though? I mean, they did seal the deal last night. I think they’re pretty tight.”
Gemma was my minion and since Lexa was my best friend, Gemma was hers to command as well. It surprised me that she would have the nerve to speak out but, in this instance, I didn’t have a problem with it. Besides, I had bigger things to worry about.
“Ali may have just had her first night with someone but trust me, this was not Jarrod’s first.”
I froze, hoping I had misheard, but knowing I hadn’t. My first instinct was to run out of the cubicle into Lexa’s arms and cry about how terrible my life was. But then, as Gemma asked the most important question of all, I remembered Lexa’s haughty tone and knew this wasn’t the end of it.
“He’s slept with someone else? When? And how do you know?”
It occurred to me in some small part of my mind that Gemma should have known the last question’s answer already. I mean, she spent all her time with us, how had she not picked up on it?
“It was three months ago, with yours truly,” Lexa replied triumphantly.
My mind swirled with thoughts and questions. Lexa isn’t a virgin! Has Jarrod slept with other girls? The most important thought of all, though, wanted to make me scream.
Jarrod and I had been dating for six months.
As Lexa and Gemma left, their chatter grew quieter as the distance between us grew. I finally burst into tears.
After about ten minutes, someone came into the bathroom. Not wanting to be recognised, I stopped crying immediately.
“Ali? I know you’re in here. I saw you go in here a while ago and you haven’t come out yet. Don’t worry; Lexa doesn’t know where you are.”
I realised it was Gemma and was glad that only she had to see me like this. I came out of my cubicle and as soon as I saw the pity in her eyes, I started crying again. She rushed forward and enveloped me in her arms.
“I’m so sorry you had to hear that. It’s just I didn’t know if you would believe me if I told you and you needed to know but…” she trailed off, unsure of how I would react. I just cried harder and she tightened her arms.
“You’ll get through this. I promise,” she swore.
I realised she would be here for me, no matter what everyone else did.
Always.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!