Danger Zone

“Look out!” CRASH! A flaming tree had struck the ground. Horrified screams tore through the forest, as the roaring fire destroyed everything to be seen. The night sky was scattered with bright stars and scarred with lightning. I wondered how this hullaballoo all started, maybe lightning had struck the dry forest as there has been no rain for weeks. Whatever happened, it didn’t matter, I needed to find help and get out of here!
“Josh! I need you help!” I pleaded through the phone
“Whoa! Alex, calm down, where are you?” Josh stammered back.
“I-I’m-uhhh…” It had only just dawned on me that I was lost!
“I’m sorry, I don’t know! I came through the forest looking for firewood but that’s all I remember!” I spluttered.
“Ok, well I’m setting off to find you and I’ll bring your dog Sparky so he can track you down.” Sparky can track almost anyone! He used to be a police dog.
As Josh was leaving, I remembered that there was a campsite not far from here, maybe I could find it and get help! At least I had my backpack, wait, my backpack! There had to be something in it that I could use!
Pocket knife, nah! Water bottle, definitely! Snacks, oh yeah! As I gobbled down the snacks, I tried to remember which direction I headed. Just the, something else fell out of my backpack, my compass! I must have missed it. Suddenly I remembered something…
The fire burnt my skin like what a hot knife would do to butter! The lightning shredded trees, I turned to run but I was surrounded! The lightning struck in front of me causing even more fire as the roaring, crackling fire behind me crept closer and closer. I was feeling dizzy now! I pulled my water bottle out from my bag and squirted the fire, and then myself to cool me down. That didn’t help at all because I was on the edge of fainting. Suddenly, everything was doubled, I could just make out shadows approaching me but it was too late. THUMP! I’d hit the ground!
I could feel sharp rocks puncturing my clothes and grazing my back as I was being dragged. I could feel my leg throbbing, I must have burnt myself. I started to groan then I opened my eyes.
“Alex! Oh man, are you ok?” Josh asked in relief. Sparky licked my face. “Hey Sparky! Josh, you saved me! Thanks man!” I spluttered back.
“Why do you seem so surprised?” Josh joked.
“I don’t know but let’s get out of here!”
Josh helped me as we stumbled to the campsite. Everyone was so relieved! As I was on my way to hospital, I realised that I was never going anywhere near fire again!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!