Haunting Dreams

I woke to the sound of humming. It never stopped. It just kept humming. I pulled myself from the cold, smooth floor. From behind me I heard a lock turning. Click, click, click, it went. Then a sudden flash of light. I looked behind me and saw a huge man. I stand to run but find I can't. My ankles and wrists are tied. I try to scream for help but again I can't. I am gagged. All you can hear is my sobs and his heavy boots creeping closer.
I woke up sweating and screaming. My Mum is sitting next to me stroking my hair. I sit up and cry into her shoulder.
"It's ok, sweetheart. Mummy's here now. It was just a nightmare." She repeated over and over again until I stopped crying. She went downstairs and filled the kettle up. Just as I heard Mum turn the kettle on, my window slid open behind me. I jerked my head to what was behind me. The thing I saw was a meaty hand curl up and hit me in the face.
I woke to the sound of humming. It never stopped. It just kept humming. I pulled myself from the cold, smooth floor. From behind me, I heard a lock turning. Click, click, click, it went. Then a sudden flash of light. I looked behind me and saw a huge silhouette standing there looking. He walks out of the light and towards me. I stand to run but find I can't. My ankles and wrists are tied. I try to scream for help but again I can't. I am gagged. All you can hear is my sobs and their heavy boots creeping closer.
"You will pay for your mistakes,” a gruff voice whispered tauntingly. I tried to ask what mistakes, but it came out in little muffles. He laughs, getting closer still walking at a steady slow pace, daring me to be scared. Then I realise this is my dream.
"This isn't a dream sweetheart," he calls mimicking my mother. I see I am holding something clenched in my fist. I open it up hoping some good will come out of it. A swiss army knife. YES! I flick it open and cut myself free from what is bounding my wrists and ankles. I close it and tuck it in my pocket. I just want to get out of here and never return.
"Time to pay!" my kidnapper screeches at me. He runs straight at me, but I am too fast and full of adrenalin for him to catch me. I reach the door and leap through. I slam it shut behind me. I will never stop running. Then I see a human being. I collapse at their feet. It's my Mum.
I have still never left my Mum's side in two years, I don't think I ever will.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!