Puppy Love And Paper Hearts

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

“WHAT? Why didn’t I know about this?!” Robin nearly dropped the perfectly crafted ice cream cone; the cashier had handed over.
“It didn’t seem like a big deal, is all,” Jules mumbled down at his own frozen treat. He should have guessed that confiding in his best friend, who was also the school drama queen, would not be a quiet occasion.
“Ah-huh,” Robin huffed, “The unassailable Julie has finally admitted to a deep, unwavering attraction toward another human being, is sending a love letter, and didn’t tell the best friend,” The green, shoulder length hair that swished around Robin’s head bobbed away, as the tall student strolled onto the street, “Your words doth wound me.”
“Don’t call me ‘Julie,’” Jules grumbled as he chased after his friend, school backpacks swinging from their shoulders, “And I’m not sending the card. It was just an idea… A bad one.”
“Only you would think a confession is a bad thing,” Robin teased, “By the way, you didn’t tell me who this mystery crush is...?”
“I need to have my secrets.” Jules defended, “If I told you, there’d be a flash mob at morning announcements confessing on my behalf!”
“Ah-hah!” Robin exclaimed, “So this someone, does go to our school?”
“…Shut up.”
Their conversation hung in comfortable silence, as they strode down the familiar street. They eventually reached their bus stop, not wasting any time in dumping their text-book-heavy bags by their feet.
Jules sighed, “Do you think I should send it?”
“wha-?” Robin asked through stuffed cheeks.
“The card. Its… kind of personal,” Jules couldn’t help but focus his gaze on the hem of his sweater, “It might make things awkward if I sent it.”
Robin frowned, “And you’re asking me for advice?”
“Well, yeah,” Jules responded shyly, “You take those risks all the time. What with your excruciatingly painful serenades every year at the end-of-school dance.”
“Er, haha, yeah…” It was Robin’s turn to look away, hiding a faint blush, “The funny thing is, with that kind of stuff, I always fail.”
“Huh?”
“You haven’t noticed? How everyone’s said ‘no’ whenever I ask?” Jules thought back. He couldn’t actually remember a time when Robin had a date.
Robin smiled, “Most people are afraid of being rejected, so they try and avoid it altogether. They don’t confide their feelings because they’re scared of hearing ‘no.’ I’m more scared of missing the one time someone might say yes.”
With that, Robin ate the last of the ice cream and began scrunching up the thin serviette, eyeing the trash can down the road.
“Now, Julie,” Robin leapt off the bench, “Consider your love life with my fantastic advice in mind, while I make the planet a more environmentally friendly place.”
“Don’t call me that!” Jules shouted after the bouncing green hair. He suddenly felt… oddly braver.
With Robin’s back turned, Jules reached over to the bag left behind and slipped a pink, paper heart into the front pocket before quickly zipping it back up.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!