Under The Apple Tree

She put one hand down on the grass behind her and eased herself down into a cross-legged position under the old Apple tree -her thinking place since her childhood- and slowly ran her fingers through her dark hair. She’d been so overwhelmed recently: School, work, relationships, friendships, drama, and exams were coming up, and she could do nothing about all of it. But, this was not the place to be stressing about life, not under the Apple tree, not under her place of calm, this was the place to relax and forget about her troubles. She uncrossed her legs and stretched them out in front of her and leant her body back against the steady trunk, her head tilting back and her eyes closing shut. She let her stresses leave her, this tree had been her therapy. Slowly she opened her eyes and as they adjusted to the light, she looked through the crisscrossing branches above her to the sky. Blue, and dotted with the occasional fluffy white cloud that looked like sheep, it was so clear and calming. Adjusting her head once again so she could see her backyard, she did a sweep of it with her eyes. The way the sunlight shone on the rickety old swing, the red paint chipping off and the metal bars rusting brought back fond memories for her. The seat she used to sit on that made her feel like she was soaring through the skies when she was pushed was slightly worn from all the times she had spent on it. Her eyes moved to her basketball hoop, rusty too but still standing tall waiting for her to shoot another goal. She remembered when she was five, she would practice constantly and believed she would be the best player and go on world tours and people would cheer for her as she ran down the court to make the winning shot, the corners of her eyes crinkled and her dimples showed as she smiled at the thought. Lastly, she moved her eyes to the trampoline. Springs missing, mat worn and ripping from being so old and net torn in a few places but still perfect in her eyes. It had been the place she learnt to flip and dance and it was where she had told so many secrets, opened presents and created so many friendships. For one worn and torn object that another person would look at in disgust, it held a lot of sentimental value in her heart and had given her so many experiences. She smiled remembering the time she had told her best friend her deepest secrets and snuck out of the house to sit on it at midnight during her sleepovers. She had so many memories that were created on normal everyday items but they meant so much to her. So, after reminiscing on fond memories, she closed her eyes once again and let out a sigh because it truly was the perfect day under the tree.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!