The Duck In The Reeds

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

As the young duck awakened out of the reeds the crisp, Autumn air smelled rotten. He noticed something rather odd. “Mother, Father?” He called out. No reply. Maybe he was being challenged to find them. Young duck loved playing games in the reeds. He trotted out of the green reeds. He waddled around the luscious, green grass as the dew sprayed across his feet. He loved the feel of the morning dew.
Suddenly, the dew felt strange, he looked down and saw a strange flimsy thing attached to his foot. He kicked his foot, it didn’t come off. He kept searching. The rotten air became worse, so bad that he turned back. Young duck could swim. Maybe his parents were near the beautiful island, looking for some food, maybe some mollusks?
He swam over. He was disgusted. The water was dirty. The air wasn’t fresh, and people threw more flimsy things around. People hit the trees, yelled at each other. “Mother!” Young duck yelled. Everybody-dashed down to the small duck. Where was he? “MOTHER! FATHER! HELP!” He yapped. The two – legged things were so close to him. He-backed away-and ran-to the water. He was confused, why was the air so gross?
He swam back to his home. He ducked under the water, as his appetite was widening. No mollusks, no fish. No food. Why was this? The water above him became a dark patch. He looked up. He tried to go above the water, but something large was blocking him. He swam to the light again and rose up. There was a big strange thing floating on the water. Another two – legged thing! He was throwing more flimsy things in the water! Duck was angry, his water! He drank that!
He finally reached the island. He was scared. “Mother, Father?” He whispered. No answer. Again. He started to sob quietly. The thing floating on the water came to shore. He dragged along his bag and took his axe. He chopped down a nice, round tree and made a log. He opened his sack and pulled out a hammer and some nails. BANG! BANG! BANG! Over and over again. “Oh, a gift! 2 ducks! Perfect for my tea tonight!” Said the thing. It was then when he knew where his parents had been. Is the whole world like-this now? Duck-wondered-to himself. What was he to do? Run? He had no other option.
He woke up the next day, the crisp autumn feeling warmer, and the air still rotting. He went out to find some mollusks or fish in the lake. He saw another thing on the water floating. He was sure to stay away from it. It lowered a net down into the water. The Mollusks! The fish! They were in the net! Duck didn’t know what to do. He went back to the reeds and sobbed. “Oh, mother and father, I wish you were here.” He sobbed to himself. This was his home!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!