New Beginnings

Midnight blue eyes stared pensively out the window. Eyes glazed, not taking in the lush landscape zooming by her. Today had been a new beginning, a new school. She had gone through this routine countless times before, the repetition becoming tedious. However, today was not the customary occurrence.
You see, Alena Delton was not entirely ordinary, an oddity, a girl with visions of the past. Some people think her strange, bizarre, an abomination. Others perceive her to be special, to have a gift. Alena does not know which to entrust her faith in, so she sticks to fact. She only knows for certain that she is unique.
The worst part, however, are the incidents. When a vision so harrowing it becomes strenuous, leaves her with a haunting gaze. It ruined her trip to Pearl Harbour. The agonising shrieks of pain filling her with a chilling sensation. Her trip to Italy being more successful, as she saw the normally opaque, decomposing structures as newly painted, glinting in the sun that was absent in her time.
That morning, all went wrong with the mind-boggling character that was Callum Glendan. She was walking through the halls of Papworth State School, New York, slinking by the wall as to avoid attention. Of course, the pompous girl that had volunteered to be Alena’s buddy, in order to look virtuous before the teachers, had promptly ditched her and was seen sauntering through the hallway in her boisterous dress. Alena was nearly at the classroom when she crashed into him, together dropping down and fumbling about to collect their books. When they glanced up, deep blue met large cinnamon eyes. And then it started.
Alena saw the same eyes, hard and cold, leather armour adjourning broad shoulders as a sword swiped at her. And, as abruptly as it began, she was back. This boy was bad news.
She had scrambled back to get away. The boy seemed to have seen something, as he reached out, but she had already gone. Whenever Alena meets someone with a direct connection to her, they come. Monstrous beings that bleed black. She slipped passed students and rushed to the courtyard. Alena had needed some fresh air. How could everything have gone so badly? It was just her first day!
Slowly, an offending odour began to attack her senses. They were coming! Alena hid behind the bushes and prayed they wouldn’t notice her. Crimson eyes stared at her, only a few paces away. Her heart was racing as a figure clouded her vision. There he was again, this time a long, wooden spear in his calloused hands. The next moment, the beast had disappeared and his face was once again staring at her. Warm, brown eyes, so different and yet resembling the ones in her vision, had asked if she was okay and informed her that he would take her to a safe place. A place for people like her. A place for people like them.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!