Oh To Be A Seal

When I swim in this place of never-ending water I feel free, like I’m a spirit with no boundaries. But life can change in a second. For instants, it was me and my mother free spirits swimming together. Then all of a sudden my mother’s free spirit was gone. Why? I always ask myself. What happened to her? Though I was soon to realise that those greedy humans were the ones behind my mother’s disappearance. I realise I will never see my mother again. Why do I know this because it’s like a seal's well-known danger, once a human takes you your gone forever? At that moment I thought nothing was worse. My mother was gone. I still might have been a free spirit in the ocean but who is one when they are alone, no more with the one they love.
Though of course, those humans found a way to take me too. Maybe they take every free animal from its home. The humans corner me into a cliff where I have nowhere to go except their arms. I cry out for my mother but remember she’s gone, which only makes me cry louder. They put a rope around my neck and drag me to some sort of moving rock. At least I think it’s a rock, although when they open a part of it and shove me in it, it feels to dry and too cold to be a rock. I get bumped around back and forth. I feel like I’m moving when I really am staying in the same place. This feeling is much worse than a storm out in the sea. I continue to cry hoping someone or something will hear and come to my rescue, but soon realise it’s no use. I stop crying and lay down and just imagine the crashing of the waves, those waves will forever stay in my mind.
I wake up to find myself in water! I go to swim around when I realise this is not the endless place of water I call home, it’s like water in walls. I can only swim in this certain area. I look up to see HUMANS looking at me I go to swim out towards them and give them what they disserve when I once again remember there are walls I cannot see but can feel. I start to think if I keep swimming from one wall to the other without touching them maybe I will feel like I’m in the ocean. So my quest to feel free starts now. I swim to one side then back without touching the wall and close my eyes. I picture myself in the ocean. It doesn’t feel like the same thing but it’s as close as I’m going to get. So back and forth I swim till I, once again be free in the ocean and find my family although I know I will no longer ever be with my mother again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!