Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday to you,
It hurts. The memories of blissful evenings, celebrations of life and the joys of it. Playing in the makeshift pool made from my father’s bare hands. How my mother held my own, her soft touch giving me confidence for the world beyond. How her reassuring voice told me that it’s okay, everything will be okay. Now she’s dead, dead as stone. Stop, Michael. Stop.

Happy Birthday to you,
Now it brings fear. I stare at my clock, withering away one stroke at a time. Tick, tock, tick, tock. It doesn’t stop. Not that I want it to, anyway. It gives me something to focus on, something to remind me that I’m not alone. But I am. I am alone. A lighthouse in a sea of darkness. My fingers reach out for my tea. I wrap my hands around the cup, relishing its warmth. I take a sip, but withdraw immediately. Too hot. I place the cup besides me on a small ornamental table, and sit there waiting. Waiting and waiting. Tick, tock. But what am I really waiting for?

Happy Birthday dear Michael,
Death. I had always dreaded it, always imagined it taking me away from this world. Holding his reaper, it would sweep beneath my feet, robbing the light of day. Now it seems like a mere friend. Someone to lead me away from this home, and show me a new one. That would be nice. Maybe I can see my mother and father, welcoming me as a long lost child. Maybe I can finally apologise. Tears fill my eyes. Not again. I quickly grab a tissue to wipe them away, to forget about them, discard their existence. But it’s not so simple. I pick my cup back up and try for another sip. Perfect.

Happy Birthday
Soon I can celebrate it. Soon I will be free. I stare at my door, awaiting its arrival. I can almost feel it throughout my body, a sign of its presence. I pick up my cane and stand, feeling the cold, hard floor beneath my feet. I gradually make my way to the bathroom, excitement building within. My reflection surprises me, however I still clean myself up as best I can. After all, it is a big day. Suddenly the wood below me creaks. Knock knock. For the first time in years, I smile.

To you.
“Hello”
No reply. It simply points its finger at me, and bends it towards itself, signalling me to come closer. I do as it wishes. As I move closer, it starts to whisper to me. I nod, as he wraps his bony fingers around me, in a seemingly reassuring way.
I release my cane with ease, and let it all go.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!