Watch It Dry

As the smell of wet paint reaches my nose, I thank the painter and wave him goodbye. He had painted a nice sky blue coating on my three-year old’s room. I believe the colour adds to the tone and creates a peaceful atmosphere. At least that’s what I thought, until I can’t seem to detect my son’s precious possession on his bedside bench.

His expensive diamond watch was not in its box. What has my son done with it? ‘You stupid dummy, recognise the value of the things I give you,’ I preach, fully aware that he can’t understand me.

Something in the bowl on his bench reflects some light. It must be the watch. I guess he just grabbed it and lobbed it into it. But wait, it’s just the sun’s reflection beaming from the glass bowl. That strikes a thought.

The smell of the sky-blue paint immediately agitates me as I realise who the culprit may be. The only other person who accessed the room is the painter. How could I find out his contact details? He has left me no business card or identification for me to contact and question him.

He did leave one thing behind. His can of paint but that’s no help. I quickly scan over the can of paint to see the paint suppliers branding wrapped around it. I’m frustrated to see how minimal paint he has used for the amount I paid, so in anger I carelessly, ignoring the result of paint in my carpet, kick the can with my left foot almost breaking it.

The bottom of it reveals the company’s logo and some text. ‘Watch it Dry’ and ‘as the client watches the paint dry, they will be mesmerised and so focussed on it that they almost lose consciousness making it the perfect time to nab something of interest or value.’

These pests. Leaving their propaganda in plain sight.

I search the company name on the can and find more information including their location. I report them straight to the police for steeling goods. My goods that is.

He was reported to be found inside of his office, with the watch glimmering on his wrist. What a braindead fool he is. The watch was stripped from that brainless bandit and returned to me as it should have been.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!