Leaving For The Stars

Leaving for the stars
Too wise for his years, a child of brilliance and intelligence, body confined to a wheelchair, mind confined to the stars. Beyond his youth lie a bleak truth he turned his childish innocence towards, to preserve the beauty of the moment.

Their unconventional meeting set the tone for their unconventional friendship, a rooftop, a spray can, a toilet roll. Their bodies froze in fear and their eyes wide in astonishment. No amount of planning could have prepared the girl to meet a boy seeming so frail carrying such a large amount of books. As she discreetly tucked away the can, she crouched down to look at the boy at eye level, and as the bribe she prepared in her head was about to roll off her tongue, the boy smiled.

Questions that filled her mind had no chance to escape as she stared blankly at this young child reciting details about constellations. Pavo, Leo, Pyxis appeared to be child’s play, as he pointed his small fingers to the sky. The enthusiasm in his eyes shone brighter than the stars which he spoke of, his warm breath contrasting with the cool winter air. Her curiosity about this boy grew with each minute that passed, as the hour in which they spoke was unforgiving. After a series of yawns and eye rubs, he decided he had had enough of her company and they departed in their separate ways.

Their next meeting brought some answers to the girl’s inquiries. As he sat to the ground of the rooftop, a tag slipped out of his planet patterned pyjama pockets, a hospital tag stating his name and age. He swiftly proceeded to grab the tag and continued setting up his portable telescope, not missing a single beat. This child’s knowledge was not limited to stars, as he boasted extensive information on other celestial bodies. His comprehension suggested maturity, however, his laugh indicated otherwise.

Slowly their rare meetings became daily, and she couldn’t help but notice the visible darkening of his under eyes and the thinning of his arms. His curiosity and wonder remained unparalleled, for a child so young. His eyes now drooped when he smiled, yet he remained determined to gaze at the stars.

She regretted their final meeting, for her oblivion prohibited her from telling her stargazing buddy of his kindness, his intellect, his greatness.
His final words to her stayed with her for years to come.

“Don’t miss me too much, I’m leaving for the stars.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!