I Remember

"Huh!", my gasp is cut half way as I feel a frigid, cool hand cover my mouth tightly, trying to block the air that was exiting from my mouth. For a moment, I hold my breath. I thought that was the end. The end of what I had been through, what everyone had been through. I thought I could finally rest in peace. Just as all these thoughts possess my mind, I remember what had happened. I try to see what's behind me but the hand pulls tighter against my jaws. I feel as though my jaw could break and shatter into a million pieces just like glass. I don't know where I am or who is behind me, but I do remember one thing. I remember the screams of the mothers, wives, sisters and daughters. I remember the cries of the starved children and the voices of the men who died protecting not only us but our faith. i remember witnessing my grandfather on his death bed. he wasn't only fighting for us but he fought against death. I remember the loudness of the bombs and the redness of the place. i remember the field covered in blood of the innocent, tears of the disheartened and the sweat of the soldiers. I remember my mother hugging me tight and telling me repeatedly that we would be ok. I remember her sweet and calming voice that told my heart to not give up. I thought we would never make it. But I still remember praying so hard that my own thoughts would turn out to be lies. I remember my father fighting to protect us, as he entered the danger zone. I knew I would never see him after that. I knew. I lost everyone. I remember it. I remember it all so clear. Just as a tear rolls down my cheeks, I feel the hand slowly releasing itself. I instantly move my jaw as it feels paralysed. I turn around slowly. slowly, because I know this is the end. end of all my suffering and I can finally reunite with my loved ones. I would remember who set me free, even if it is my enemy. Just as free as a bird in the light blue sky, roaming through the clouds. I would remember. I remember.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!