The First Jump


I climb out of the car and step onto the warm gravel parking lot. I breathe in the salty air and walk onto the jetty. My brother, my friend Scott and I walk over to the ramp on the right side and we jump off over and over again until we are bored.
Scott looks toward a giant tower at the far end of the jetty. It climbs up over the old ferry docks where its long dark shadow stretches across the ocean. Scott says “you wanna do it?” The thought of jumping from halfway up that tower makes me feel sick but it’s always good to try new things. Feeling nervous I try to say “ok” as enthusiastically as I can.
We walk over to the beams that lead over to an old car ramp that runs under the tower. The wooden beams hang over the water and we run across them one by one, trying to keep our balance. The car ramp is made of layers of wood that are falling apart. We are cautious of where we step, nails, pieces of rusted metal and pigeon poo are scattered across the ramp.
At the end of the ramp there is a small drop off to the right and a metal ladder that leads up to a rusty control box. We climb up through the control box where I notice the old control buttons and a pigeon nesting. The top is where we are going to jump from. Another ladder climbs up way above us. We all climb on top of the control box. The drop looks super high and the wind is stronger up here. I look around and see seabirds flying over us. The previous day Scott and my brother had jumped from the control box while I was home with a headache, so I asked them to jump first. My brother goes first. He stands on the edge of the control box and takes a leap far out over the water. He brings his arms and legs in and pin drops, hitting the water with a loud splash. Scott does the same. Then it is my turn to jump.
My brother and Scott wait in the water for me to jump. They yell out “come on jump”. I take a deep breath, step onto the edge and jump. I fly through the air, gaining speed and then remember to pin drop, I point my toes down, put my arms by my side and put my legs together. I hit the water and I’m plunged deep down. I swim up to the surface and feel the adrenalin in my body. Scott says “was that fun?” I say “you want to do it again?” My brother and Scott reply with a “YES!” We climb up the rusty metal structure that leads to the top of the ramp and we jump again and again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!