We Are Who We Are

“What’s with that laugh?” They said from across the courtyard. I looked up. “What?” I asked perplexed. They all sneered and walked away. I turned to Stephanie, “just ignore them.” My school holds 294 kids, well that was until my brother, Jake and I joined. We had only been there a month. I was the most popular kid at school the first day but that all faded away overtime. Now there seems to be more bullies. It hurts. It’s hard enough finding friends in grade five, I don’t need all them digging at me.
I’m packing up after dinner that night with Mum and I say to her, “Mum, it’s not stopping. The boys are still bullying me. Do you think my skin is too pale and my laugh is annoying and loud? Do you think I sound bad?” She looks at me. “Brylie,” she begins, “There’s no such thing as skin too pale and a laugh too loud. We are who we are, and we can’t help people who don’t like it. Your voice is fine just the way it is and so’s the rest of you. Find something you love to do and do it whenever you feel sad from the bullies being mean.” I nod.
Everyone’s crowding around a poster on the school noticeboard. “Well, I’m going to sing!” says one grade 2. I read the poster. It’s about a school talent contest and I know right away what I’m going to do.
I look over my shoulder and see the bullies talking meanly to Stephanie and 4 other kids. I didn’t realise Stephanie got bullied too! Then I have an idea. I have a crazy, wonderful, brilliant idea.
At lunch I gather all the people who I saw getting bullied. I introduce myself and tell them all my idea. Whoa! I feel so proud! They all agree to do it with smiles from ear to ear. We practice all week. We’re creating an act for the contest. I will be dancing with Stephanie, a boy named Jack will be playing the guitar, a girl named Lily is designing costumes and the other boy and girl will be singing. I think we look pretty good.
A week later the concert begins. Four teachers are sitting at a table in the middle. They’re obviously judging. I’m sitting backstage. Lily brings out the costumes. Everyone looks so good in their glittery costumes. Slowly backstage is becoming emptier as more of the contestants perform. Soon we are called on. I look at the audience. The music starts, and I begin dancing. The singers sound good and so does the guitarist. The end of the show is nearing. I get excited, all my nerves have gone! The music finishes and everyone claps, some even rising to their feet. The judges clap hardest! Forming a line, we take a bow. Then, as planned, we all shout at in sync, “we are who we are, and we’re beautiful both inside and out!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!