Saor alba

Weeks. Months. Years. Id be there soon…
I remember back to the day when I first found out. The day I discovered my family history was a powerful moment in my life. I was searching for my surname on the Internet when I came across a curious site. I was Scottish! It never occurred to me to look up my family name.
I had wanted to change it for so long because the last three male generations had been total chaos and an insult to the Gordon name. That was before I uncovered my past… my ancestors. After watching “Braveheart” I came to respect what he fought for, to the English he was a villain but to me, he was a hero, a man standing in authority’s way for the good of his country, the good of his men and the right for freedom.
I had discovered that my own ancestor, Sir Adam Gordon was in fact of William Wallace’s time. More so, he fought in all the battles for Scotland! Adam was one of the first who joined the struggle against Edward I, he was present that day at the bloody battle of Stirling Bridge, present at the day of fearful odds at the Battle of Falkirk where the heroic Scotsmen were overwhelmed and defeated by a superior force led my Edward I himself.
Sir Adam Gordon was present at the battlefield of Bannockburn, when the King of Scotland, Robert Bruce I, at long last won Independence from England that would last for many years. The Gordons appear in nearly all battles fought for Independence. As our well-known motto avows, “Animo non atitia” (by courage, not cunning) freedom was a passion of the Gordon Clan and our clansmen swelled with courage.
The Jacobite Rebellion of 1689 and 1715-45 was an important time in Scotland’s history. The Gordons fought on both sides. I remember those who fought for the Jacobites. Some say the Rebellion was a war between Protestants and Catholics, some say England against Scotland and some the lowlands against the highlands.
My ancestors fought for Independence, rights and freedom. In 1707 the Act of Union was formed and only rich people could vote. Many Scotsman did not approve of the forced unity. Scotland is still fighting that same fight today. I’m passionate about it. For years, it seems, Scotland has fought and fought for independence, has come close, or has had it for a period, but has never been truly free. It’s what William Wallace fought for, what Adam Gordon believed in, and the free men of Scotsman bled for…
I’m almost there; I can see the lights of Aberdeen overhead, the home of my Clan; the patchwork quilt of fields one after another; the highlands! I can feel my ancestors coming to me.
Stepping onto clan soil, I feel the breath being knocked out of me, a sweet sensation as Scotland’s air fills my lungs. The wars of independence. The struggle. Sacrifice. Patriotism. FREEDOM! I’m home.
ALBA GU BRATH!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!