Quilton's Day!

Quilton's Day
My palms get sweaty as they stare. Why me? I ask myself. Why do they always stare at me? Actually, I know why:
• My name is Quilton which is named after a toilet paper brand.
• I just found out that I have a disease called hypothyroidism, this means that I gain weight quickly because a gland in my neck does not produce enough hormones.
My mum says that I shouldn’t be so negative and that I’m beautiful just the way I am. I can’t agree. Although, without my mum’s positive attitude, I wouldn’t have got into horse riding.
This is the story of the day I competed at the state championships.
I wake up with a nervous smile on my face, today is the day. I walk down the stairs almost tripping on each step because of my excitement, I’m doing it.
As I put on my equipment I feel slightly more cautious, what will they think of me? Will they judge me? I don’t know.
My whole family get in the car, like popstars we sing and dance with excitement. They’re thrilled too.
I get out of the front seat, hitting the ground with a bang as my belly falls behind me. I take in the atmosphere, not knowing where to look, the elegant horses, the fresh green grass, the huge enthusiastic crowd.
It’s time for everyone to put their stuff in the lockers, stuff like this makes me want to scream with joy. I just can’t believe anyone my size could do this. When I put my exquisitely large bag in the locker many other competitor’s stare at me, I even hear a girl whisper…
“That poor horse, how does he do it?”
“It’s called sympathy points,” Her friend says.
It’s stuff like this that makes me question myself, am I here because they feel sorry for me?
Contestant after contestant competes each one better than the last, pulling out tricks and perfect execution. The crowd roars enthusiastically.
I’m next. For someone with a sweat gland that doesn’t work I’m sweating a lot. I hop on my horse knowing that this is it, this is everything I’ve trained for. I’m nervous, but I know it’s time.
I hop out. The crowd laughs at me, some look like they want to cry.
I move on trying not to think about my weight, although their hate makes me want to burst into tears. The thought of me not being fat makes me want to smile and the thought that I am overweight makes me want to scream.
I use that anger into my show jumping perfecting each jump, some tricks harder than any seen yet. I reach the end.
I did it.
The crowd sits for a second with open mouths surprised, I did it. After taking it in they appreciate my hard work and cheer like no one before me. I feel proud, like I was born with a purpose.
I did it, Quilton Myers, first.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!