I Was Saved From The Quicksand By...

It was a typical day in the south African rain-forest - hot and sticky. I set of telling my fellow scientists that I would be searching the rain-forest for a particular vine that could save lives from the Darean virus. It was a dreaded disease and the vine could stop the virus spreading. I was the only one who knew enough about botany to handle the plant, and I had a degree in medicine which could come in handy. After scouting for over an hour, I spotted some pygmies coming out of a clearing. A few noticed me and then whole clan come over. They were short with stubby legs, fingers and arms. They had corkscrew hair, hungry little darting eyes, and around their waist to their knees, banana leaves hung, woven together with vines, twigs and flowers. I, Dr Vuleta did not know that these people were suspicious of outsides and as a result, would kill them in the worst possible slow torture. As I was staring at the little people, I noticed that garlands of vines and flowers adorned their necks. I suddenly had an idea. Perhaps it was the vine needed to cure the nasty disease. All I then needed to do was to try and communicate with little men, and all my worries would be over. I would be a hero! I asked the pygmies if they could show me were the vines grew and they seemed to understand me- which was strange. They ‘yahhed’ and ‘oohed’ and kept on pointing in the direction I had yet to explore. I walked swiftly in the direction they were pointing and had a look around. I gazed up at the canopy of tree branches and leaves, checking for vines. I then stepped on a gooey puddle. I felt my foot sinking into the ground, I frowned, still looking up at the tree tops as gooey mud seeped into my boot. I glanced down, thinking that I clumsily stepped into a puddle. My brain awoke from its day dream and I realised I had stepped in quicksand! I yelped and wrenched my leg out, but it stuck pulling my other foot in too. I squirmed to get free, but I wouldn’t budge. I was sinking further into the sand and soon it would cover my shoulders. I desperately looked up to see if there was anything I could hold onto to stop me being dragged under completely. I saw it. A magnificent coloured vine with dark green spots. I had seen it in a book, though I couldn’t remember where. The vine was hanging 15 to 20 cm above the quicksand. I ripped off my stethoscope - I always carry it around with me and lassoed it around the vine which dipped, and I clambered onto it, shimmied across and landed safety onto solid ground. I discovered that I was saved from the quicksand by the valuable vine that could cure the virus! Yes! I was a star and couldn’t stop smiling!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!