Water's End

The gouges in my skin throb as the wind blows. Although my skin is red with blood, I focus on my grip. My arms strain whilst they hold my weight. My breathing is quick as well as shaky. I struggle not to look down at the sea, which I know is never ending, but my curiosity gets the better of me.
As I glance down, I see the waves that carry the dark blue water, back and forth. I start to lose the feeling in my limbs. One of my arms slips, a bead of sweat rolls down my cheek.

Moments later, my cramped hand gives way. My stomach drops as my body is suspended in the air. I gaze at the cliff that I was previously hanging from, trying to distract myself from the impact.
As I contact the water, my body immediately stings as the salt water seeps into my open wounds. My body goes deep into the water, too deep. My arms and legs fall in front of me whilst I sink. Bubbles blur my vision as I try to get my body vertical. My limbs scream at me in pain as I struggle to swim. I fight with the water, I thrash around trying to swim upwards. I attempt to take a breath, suddenly I feel briny liquid gradually filling my lungs. I decide to stop struggling to breathe and instead focus my energy on getting to the surface of the ocean.

Immerging from the water, instantly I taste salt as I inhale deeply from my mouth. I slowly exhale. The water is so cold I feel a hole opening in my chest, weighing me down. As the waves toss me around, I try to find land.
A rock.
I struggle to swim onwards but somehow, I find my hand clawed on the jagged rock. I try to take a step. However, as my foot loses its grip, I am dragged down the rough boulder. I screech in pain. Whilst I gulp loudly, I realise the beautiful dark shades of the sky.

As the night rolls around, I manage to swing my body on top of the large rock and lie down. Although the surface is rugged and uncomfortable, my body is so drained I cannot feel anything.
I find myself observing the sky. Stars and clouds illuminate the night, however my eyes dart to something else. A full moon. The silver and white shape gives off bright light that reflects off the ocean surface. My eyelids begin to droop causing my blinking to slow.

Am I facing my end?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!