Jack In The Box

Like all new parents, their child is their number one priority. My wife, Gloria adores our daughter Annie but once midnight strikes non-stop crying and yelling, of course, it is natural to get up and aid and see what the child wants whether it is food, change of diapers or even being held. Although, Gloria my wife adores her sleep much more than her daughter at times and urges me to go check up on Annie.
Seeing my little angel puts a smile upon my face even when she's being a brat but being the greatest father, I bought Annie a toy to fiddle with until she falls asleep. A 'Jack in the Box' that plays a tune automatically that instantly made Annie fall to sleep.
"Darling! If you don't hurry up your food will get cold." Gloria shouts from across the room with Annie rested against her hip drolling all over.
"Do you need a hand?" I ask gently removing Annie out of Gloria's arms and placing her in the highchair. She sighed as she sat down. "Not anymore at least."
Its Sunday night and the rich smell of roasted steak fills the room.
"So honey, how was your day with Annie," I asked.
"Well so far good, during her nap time she slept soundly but would wake up if I turn off that Jack in the Box toy."
"Ah, So my plan has been going well I see. Always kinda knew I was the better parent." I brag flashing her a devious smile. She furrows her brows and places spoonful of mashed potatoes in Annie's mouth. "It's a bad habit and ever since you bought it Annie has been acting strangely." Gloria complained, "I mean when she is asleep and I turn that thing off it somehow goes back on again."
"Tonight I'll take the batteries out," I say arising from my chair.
Suddenly a distant tune is heard from upstairs. I turn around and face Gloria as she turns pale. "I told you! That thing is freaky!" she shouted, taking Annie out of her highchair. "Look she can even hear it from her room!" I jokingly say only to get whacked by Gloria.
"Just turn it off!" She yells in almost a whisper. I hurry off to the nursery room only to witness the 'Jack in the Box' by the bed. "Time for you to go," I mumbled while opening the battery hatchet.
"What the hell? It's e-empty.." I shout stammering back. I throw the toy across the room, hitting the closet door forcing it to swing open. Just then a pink fabric shone in the dark closet. "It can't be," I say to myself walking towards it. "Annie's missing blanket. How did it end up in here?" I whisper, lifting it up.
Instantly a body dropped from the blanket and every inch of my blood drained from my body.
It was Annie's body. My vision went blurry as I held her in my arms.
"H-How.."
Just then a piercing scream echoed throughout the house. I was brought back to reality and began to run. "Gloria! I'm coming!" I yelled until the nursery door slammed shut locking me inside. "Gloria! Are you there!" I shout pounding at the door, taking a step back I steady myself to kick it down.
In an instant with only a short glimpse, an inhuman hand grasped my shoulder, right before the lights went out. In what almost appeared to be a whisper I hear a quiet voice echo within the room.
"Pop goes the weasel.."


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!