Laviana

Joseph had been at sea for a long time now but he had never been stranded on an island before. He was a part of a crew aboard “The Laviana”. The boat was named after a famous lady at sea, who had her heart broken. Legend said she loved a pirate named Cannonball Cane but when he died, she was so sad she fell into the sea. Joseph never knew what they meant by “fell into the sea” but he had guessed she’d been pretty sad. Anyway, he remembered the roaring storm that upended his boat but he couldn’t recall how long he’d been asleep.
Regardless, he needed a drink. He found a pond and he sipped up the water eagerly. Or he planned to; the water swished around and fell back into the pond. He tried again and again, until the water formed a hand and slapped him in the face. He gaped like a fish out of surprise, until the water made another shape. It looked like a little doll, and it looked annoyed. Joseph was caught up processing this when the little doll slapped him again across the ankle. He returned back to reality and started frantically apologising. The little water doll had her hands on her hips and jumped back into the pond.
Joseph eventually found some water that wasn’t sentient and settled down that night in front of the campfire he had built. While he was thinking, he heard dripping, and turned to see the water doll watching him. The little thing squeaked and jumped back into the pond.
The next night, Joseph waved at the doll. She still didn’t approach but at lunch the next day, she carried a coconut over to his campfire. She looked up at him expectantly. Now that she was closer, he could study her better. Her face was smooth like silk and clear like water but the features of a female face were indented intricately. He smiled. He could see her smile too.
One night she told him a story. She couldn’t speak but she could draw pictures. She drew a picture of a pretty lady wearing a dress. She was standing on a cliff edge, holding a flower to her heart, and waving to a boat leaving in the distance. She kept drawing, until the sand was littered with beautiful artwork, telling of how a lady’s true love died at sea. By the end, the poor little doll was crying little, watery tears. Joseph asked where he was buried.
He patted the now sobbing little water lady and she looked up at him with a smile. He smiled back. He cradled the tired water doll in his arms and kissed her forehead. He laid her down near the pond. Before his very eyes, she was enveloped in a glistening white cloud. He watched in awe as from the cloud, emerged a beautiful lady wearing a familiar dress with a very familiar face. Her name was Laviana.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!