Haunted House

I look up at the towering house above me, why do I do this to myself? The people behind me chuckle but I'm too petrified to talk. “Go on then,” I heard one of them say. I reluctantly climb up the rough and steep roots that hold the house. I feel my heart freeze as I reach the old, rickety door half covered in roots. It creaks open and I feel two hands push me inside. I never will play truth or dare with a bully again, if I survive, of course.
My body tightens as I hear the door click shut behind me. I try to see who closed the door, but the room is plunged into darkness. I then try to find the door, but I go in the wrong direction. I try to pull myself together, but my mind is filled with too many questions. What happened to this house?
How long has the house been here? Why here? I finally reach the second floor and look out at the snickering kids below. I hear a creak and realise I'm not alone!
“Hello” I call out but all I can hear is my voice echoing off the empty ruined walls. A shadow emerges and comes towards me and, to my surprise, I see a pair of magnificent, beautiful and dazzling eyes. The sunlight shines on her and I see a horn the size of a cricket bat and a body of pure white.
I back away, but I bang into the wall. I'm trapped!
The figure creeps towards me. I consider jumping out the window but decide against it. I can feel the horse like creature’s breath on my face. For the first time in this creepy house I feel safe. The unicorn looks just as scared I do! Am I invading her home? I run down the stairs and try to listen to the bullies cackling like witches. I follow the noise and eventually I find the door knob. “Bye unicorn, I'll come back I promise” I whisper as I open the door. As I walk back to my house, I have a strange feeling that we are related. I ignore that feeling and go to bed.
The ball of fire in the sky shines its radiant warm and yellow rays of light through my window. I wake up with excitement in the air, today I will bring mum to meet the gorgeous, elegant and amazing unicorn. I jump out of bed onto the hard and cold wooden floor and sprint to where my mum is sleeping peacefully. I awake her from her slumber and jump on the bed. “You promised me you would come”, I whispered. She shivers as she rolls out bed and gets dressed.
We walk outside to see everything covered with frost or snow, we walk carefully across the snow until we get to the same towering old house. We walk inside and are shocked to see…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!