A Challenge

“Help,somebody,help,” cries could be heard echoing throughout the city. Lauren was in the park, reading a good book and she couldn’t possibly put it down. It was a spectacular day for reading . You could sit under the big oak tree in the park where you heard children’s voices, smelt hot chips from the hotdog stand, felt the wind rush past your face and feel the luscious emerald green grass beneath your feet. It was the perfect day to get lost in the pages of the book where anything is possible.

“ Help, somebody, anybody,” there was the familiar call again. This time louder, and more distinct than before. Lauren couldn’t ignore the despair in the voice that kept ringing in her head. Determined to find out what was happening she picked up her book and strolled towards the area where the voice was coming from.

She could definitely hear it more clearly now. She must be getting closer to it. She eventually came to the city where all the highrises were. This part of the city was different, no children’s voices could be heard. The only people you saw were young men in suits walking briskly to work.

That is, until today. A crowd of about 100 people were gathered around the foot of one of the buildings. Wait a minute, she could smell smoke. She looked to where it was coming from and saw that part of the building was ablaze, the fire getting more powerful by the second.

Lauren pushed through the crowd, trying to get closer to the ablaze building. “What is going on?” She called . An elderly man next to her tapped her on the shoulder, “ Ms Brown’s kitten is stuck in the apartment and everyone knows how much she adores him.”
“ Is there anything I can do to help?” asked Lauren.
“ A froup of young men put a ladder up but no one wants to climb.” It’s useless the old man announced, clearly defeated.

Lauren knew something had to be done. She walked towards the ladder. Well here goes, thought Lauren. She slowly started to climb. Her palms were sweaty and her heart was racing. As much as she wanted to, she knew there was no turning back.

Lauren stepped in the room and heard a quiet miaow. Lauren could make out a faint ginger shape emerging from the smoke. The flames were closing in on her, there was no time to waste. Grabbing the kitten she raced towards the window and began to climb down the rungs of the ladder. Her jeart was pounding, her head was banging, she was almost there.

Then she was back on solid ground. The kitten escaped her grasp and ran over to his owner. Then suddenly everything went black. Her eyes opened and all she saw was white. “ Godd news Lauren, you are going to be fine. You just inhaled a bit of smoke which is no big deal.”

An elderly man hobbled in, “ I would like to commend you Lauren, you are a true hero.” She heard these words and smiled, then fell asleep with those words echoing in her head. “You are a true hero, hero, hero.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!