Parvana 20 Years On



The clock hit 11am at France’s famous Eiffel Tower. A warm spring morning with the sun only slightly peaking in between the clouds. The landmark was fairly quiet and the only faint noises you could hear were blue birds chirping and cicadas singing.


But down below, there Parvana was, staring into to the eyes of her long lost best friend. Their arms wrapped around each other like nothing they’ve ever felt before. A warm, indulging hug. Their eyes met and they smiled bigger and brighter than before.


Parvana and Shauzia both stepped back and looked at each other. “Parvana… it’s so good to see you!” Shauzia exclaimed. Shauzia took a glimpse down at Parvana’s bump and her eyes lit up. “And I can see you’ve been busy! ” Shauzia smirked smiling. Parvana replied , “Ohh Shauzia I missed you so much, and yes baby number 3”

“Baby number what? T,Te,Tell me everything!” Shauzia screamed.


“Well I got out of Afghanistan the year after you, I snuck out on a shipping boat. I left my family... Well technically they left me as the Taliban shot all of them and at that point I was the only survivor.” Parvana said in disappointment. “Despite the Taliban's best efforts I safely got out of that blood hole and now I’m here married to a loving husband and with 3 kids Abby, Josh and a new one on the way, which I’m so thankful for! Anyways what’s up with your life?” Parvana questioned smiling.


“Well I’m engaged” Shauzia explained as Parvana took Shauzia’s left hand and admired the ring placed on her fourth finger. It was beautiful and so gleamingly appealing.


“It’s gorgeous isn…” Shauzia stopped in disturbance. Both of the girls suddenly felt a rumble on the ground beneath them and soon after took place a large bomb like noise. Their eyes widened as they seen what was an atomic bomb has struck the middle of the worldwide known landmark. Deafening screams and people crying had taken place in front of them. Their first instinct was to take each others hands and run to the nearest store or inclosed space. They both sustained a deep cut on their legs and a ping pong sized head injury on Shauzia.


Parvana placed her phone into her hand as her fingers began to shake as she typed ‘112’. She repeated saying to Shauzia that it was alright and everything was okay. 10 minutes and they heard sirens in the background. From there they were loaded into the ambulance and taken to hospital.


Hours passed with more and more nurses doing tests. The two females were admitted to the same department in the same room. A ‘Doctor Martin’ came and sat by Parvana in her bed.

“I’m afraid I have some bad news” Doctor Martin announced. “There’s no other way I can say this to you, your baby has unfortunately passed away… I’m sorry” the Doctor sighed, sympathetically smiled, turned and left.


Parvana sat in disbelief and tears started running down her face. Shauzia slowly tracked over and sat on Parvana’s bed, pulled her in and gave her a cuddle. The room was dead silent for around 5 minutes… all there was , was Shauzia holding Parvana in her arms. Later on they both fell asleep and that was them for the day.


Parvana woke to find doctors scurrying like chickens with no heads. Whispers filled up the room and Shauzia’s bed was taken out and placed into the ICU (intensive care unit). Parvana stood there in shock, she continued to weep to the doctors and pleading for them to tell her what was going on but yet they kept telling her that it was confidential.


Hour after hour passed until Parvana was confronted by an average height woman with long brown hair and freckles over her face. “Parvana?” the woman questioned. “Yes, sorry do I know you?” Parvana said unsure. “... sorry hi I’m Megan, one of the nurses who was caring for Shauzia” “How is she?” Parvana questioned. “When the bomb hit she sustained a fairly big head injury which causes her brain to shut down in all different places… “ A sound came from the woman's twoway and she had to go, apologizing and rushing out of the room.


Was Shauzia okay and did she survive?

Find out in the next book series.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!