A New Set Of Sparkles

"Click!"
I hadn't realised it yet, but it was over before it had even began. I didn't expect the most nerve wracking event of my life to be over so suddenly. On the morning of getting my ears pierced, my stomach was filled with butterflies. When we were heading to Rockhampton in the car for an agonising two-hour journey, I couldn't get my mind off the terrifying occasion. Although deep inside me I knew that it wasn't going to be as difficult as I thought. I wanted this, so I had to be brave!
As I entered the posh, pampered piercing shop I was struck and made dizzy by the smell of the sickly fresh hand sanitiser. Before I had time to reconsider what I was doing, two ladies with white aprons and an array of piercings not only on their ears but also on their noses, tongues and chins, propped me up onto the smooth leather piercing chair. My stomach was jam-packed with butterflies and the only sound I could hear was my heart beating noisily and rapidly against my chest. Even though millions of people had already been through this same procedure, not even my own loving, caring mother could make me feel a little less frightened.
I am not sure what those other millions of people felt like, but for me it felt like the whole world was going to end because my mind was rushing with all these negative thoughts like the earring being stuck on the piercing tool and my ear being ripped clean off!
The rest of this moment was a blur but I could sense the two ladies getting ready, one of each side of me. I felt my mother's warm, comforting hand lacing into mine when one lady said calmly: "It's time."
I was so overwhelmed with thoughts of worry, anxiety and dread. I sat super still and frozen with fear as the ladies counted down the scariest and most adrenaline-pumping moment of my life so far.
"Five, four, three, two, one!"
I was in a daze as the two ladies guided me towards the mirror as I looked at my now burning, red ears. It was totally worth it! Even though it hurt somewhat, my new set of sparkles were amazing! I walked out of the piercing shop beaming as my new piercings danced with the lights of the shopping centre. My ears were tingling with excitement. I will always remember this life-changing moment and despite my fears it was totally worth it. I love my new set of sparkles.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!