Searching

I opened my eyes, not trying to make any sudden movements because my back hurt terribly. I slowly rose from my uncomfortable foam mattress, rubbing at my eyes vigorously with tired hands. I flicked a glance at my alarm dock; 7:30. I rolled out of bed getting this weird feeling like I had lost something, so I decided to have a little look around my room. I dug through my towering piles of clothes, having no idea of what I had lost.
After fifteen minutes of searching I decided to give up, and finally start getting dressed for school. I started forcefully putting on my uncomfortable school uniform that no one liked. Ever. After I finished getting dressed, I still had the painful feeling like I missed something, but I ignored it and went off to breakfast. When I arrived at breakfast my mum asked me; “Why a long face, honey?” I sat down and later replied “I feel like I’ve lost something.” And then my dad murmured through his newspapers; “Kids.” In a displeased tone.
When I arrived at school, I sat down in class lines until my friend called me over with a friendly “Hey, bro! Come on over here!” I groaned and trudged over to my friend, nearly tripping over the bags. I sat down next to my friend and almost instantly he started showing me some ridiculous cat videos. I watched them until the familiar noise came over me and the meanest teacher came down; Mr Payne. As usual he yelled at us all, lecturing us about what’s right and wrong.
When I went to class, we started our usual spelling practice with words like ‘jam’ and ‘cat’. I wasn’t up to the standards, so my teacher sent me to the principal’s office where kids go in happy and come out devoid of joy. To me and a few others it’s like you’re going on a one-way trip to hell. I was on the principal’s last straw which meant one more visit and I would be suspended from school for a month.
When I entered the principal’s office, I took a whiff of the principal’s cologne which smelt strongly of moth balls. I sat down until the principal decided to lecture me and after a while, he looked through his files until he found mine and then he exclaimed; “So, you’re on your last chance... Aha! You’ll be suspended!” He sat there with a pleased look on his chubby face, his toupee slowly coming off his smooth head. Then I looked at the wall knowing that I should be worried about being suspended but all I worried about was the thing I had lost and I was sent home shortly after. When I got home, I was really tired, so I went to bed and I closed my eyes and drifted into a dream. And then I found the thing I had lost when I was sleeping. It was my sense of imagination.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!