Darkness

I am Darkness.

I am the monster that lurks beneath your bed, the black mass that fills the empty, lifeless void of space. I am the chilling terror that settles around you when you are lost.
But I am not just the colour black, no. I am a feeling, an emotion. I am the anger and fury of when you’ve been hurt; the dread when you’re in trouble; and the despair of sorrow. But I don’t create these feelings; you do.
Some fear me, others think me evil, but believe me, I am just like you. Of course I am not some visible being with a body, that glides across the Earth spreading gloom and fear! But I feel like you, I think like you, and yes, even sometimes I cry and laugh.
Do not think me a heartless beast: I cannot change what I am or how I appear. But I also cannot change what I have been created to be – a curtain that falls at night, hiding the sun, moon and stars; that doesn’t create fears but encourages them to blossom from your own thoughts to reality.
I do not know how long I’ve existed or how old I am. For as long as I can remember, I have explored the earth, invisible, by day, but at night and terrible times, I am there to listen to and nurture the terror of humans.
I have seen wars and plagues, and even spoken with Death. And in all these times, I am the one blamed – but in fact, the darkness is created of human’s own doing. Death is blamed as well, but she doesn’t mind because she likes acknowledgement. And that is the difference between us – Death likes her job, and I don’t.
I would exchange all my knowledge and immortality to be human; a messy, complicated yet wonderful human. Because even though they can be cruel and spiteful, humans are capable of so much more.
They are capable of creativity, beauty, life and love. They can rise up as easily as they bring down; can fix as much as they destroy; and I would give anything to be like them.
I once voiced these thoughts to Death and her sister Love. It was after a war, and Death had claimed many lives, I had entered the hearts of many. After I had spoken, Death laughed coldly and said, ‘But you are a monster Dark!”

After Death left, Love took my hands in her own and spoke.
‘If I had the power, I would grant your wish. You are not a monster though. No matter what you are or look like, you are more human than some I have had the misfortune of meeting.’

I am Darkness, but not a monster.
I am not to be feared. I am me, but like you, I think, feel, cry and laugh. I can be a saviour for someone that is running from danger and wishes to hide.

I am Darkness.
And I long to be Light.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!