Paradise

The early colours of dawn shredded a majestic light upon the slumbering citizens of Grandia, creating inky fireworks across the deep blue sky. The sun, weak but determined seeped over the horizon, beckoning for a new day to arrive. Trees glistened with pleasure as they showed off their magenta leaves, showering the floor with thousands of vibrant colours. The wind weaved through the branches of the trees, playfully swirling and dancing. Autumn was a spectacular season and as it gradually spread its miraculous magic throughout the country, smiles returned upon depressed faces as the murderous humidity of Summer was replaced by the miracle of Autumn.

Suddenly, laughter pierced through the air, echoing through the awakening dawn. Two boys raced through the chilly air of the morning. Their rosy cheeks shone beneath the light, filling with excitement with every step. Their garments dragged beneath, dangling with neglect while holes peppered their surfaces. Like a second shadow of the sun, dirt covered their bodies and trailed wherever they went. Silently, they made their way further and further away from their house, leaving the familiarity of their beloved town and journeying through the first steps of hardship.

Rumours of the haunted house spread wide amongst children, each child foretelling the tale, quivering with fright. However, Fred and George were still willing to discover the truth of the mystery house.
The air grew thin as they ventured further into the wild and vast land, untouched for many a moon. Mist began circling them, haunting the young explorers of their eerie existence. Icy breezes swept across the land as the frost gently spread, casting a spell upon the area. Thousands of leaves crawled like spiders scrambling past, spewing venom across the grass as they gloated with lazy satisfaction at the wilting and shrivelling grass. An old broken house loomed ahead, the chimney sloping gently down while the walls strained to keep them in position, cracking with every effort. The doors swayed on their hinges, unable to stand aloof, while the windows moaned in agony as the glass splintered and cracked. A huge hole was etched to the side of the fence, resembling the image of a small animal. Without further hesitation, they entered and found themselves facing the moaning door, greeting them menacingly. As if they were drawn by invisible force, Fred and George silently entered the house. Pitch darkness greeted the brave travellers the moment they entered the house. They gazed back to the loving world awaiting them and taking a deep breath, they explored deeper, the darkness engulfing completely satisfied with their mistake. Suddenly, the first rays of the sun shone brightly over the horizon, penetrating through the thin walls of the house. The sun greeted the old house merrily and to their surprise, the image of the haunted house melted before their eyes and what stood in its place was the image of an empty house, sad and frail with years of inoccupation. They trudged back to the village, smiling contently. The truth had finally been unlocked.
The deserted house soon became a lively secret headquarters for the children of the town. George and Fred smiled at each other, proud of what they had accomplished.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!