New School

I flickered my eyelids open, forcing myself to rise from my super comfy king size bed. I had just been snuggling up with my adorable little tuddy when my mum’s ear piercing scream echoed through the blankets, shouting “Rosie, time to get up or you’ll be late for school”. I moaned as I dragged myself out of the warm enclosure of my bed, feeling a sudden shiver run through my spine. How I hated waking up in the morning’s. Especially since it was my first day of school, for a start I hated my new school uniform, back at home we could were whatever we liked. From frilly skirts to track suit pants. It was the life, none of this wishy washy rubbish blouses and skirts. I lumbered down the narrow staircase into the warm kitchen wearing my fluffy thongs and bath robe. As I tilted the bronze handle of the tall kitchen door, a phenomenal smell hit my nose. It was the smell of fresh baked bread and brand new vegemite, vegemite on toast was one of my favourite breakfasts.

My mum drove me to school that morning, I was in full hope for a fresh new start, planning to arose as many friends as possible. I didn’t want to be a loner at school, I wanted lovable and loyal friends who didn’t use me but liked me, treasured me and cared for me. As I pecked my mother’s cheek and waved a hurried goodbye, I turned to face the school. As I entered the brass metal gates of this creepy school I met a peculiar sight. There in the massive grounds of the school where hundreds of kids, but they were different. The majority had tanned, sunburnt skin, freckled faces and silky blond hair. There was plenty of swearing going on between the different groups as I dawdled through the many different kids. As I passed a couple of them turned to block my path, this was going to turn nasty by the looks on their faces. These teenagers were older than me and they didn’t seem happy. I was generally a shy person and wasn’t eager to talk too much. They started laughing as I narrowed myself into the shadows, as though invisible. They cornered me, searched my back and stole my pocket money.

They then dumped my bag on the hard rocky floor and stalked of into the crowd of many heads. I was humiliated at the moment, I hastily gathered up my belongings and hurried of into the grounds. My first day of school was horrible, that day I went home complaining to my mum. I was at the verge of tears. She looked at me sadly, gave me a warm cup of cocoa and a vegemite sandwich, allowing me to comfort myself. Stroking my back and telling me everything was going to be fine.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!